THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Norma 260 rem Brass Problem..PLEASE HELP!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I just got 200 new Norma 260 rem cases and upon measuring them I noticed they are shorter than thy should be. I measured several random cases (overall length) and got 2.018"-2.021" with the specified max overall length being 2.035". Even after trimming 0.010" they're still 0.007" or more short.

I've used 7mm mag Norma brass and didn't have this problem. Is this normal or did I get a bad batch? Has anyone else had this problem? Is it safe to load and shoot, will it cause any performance/accuracy problems?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well, right off I can tell you you can't trim them enough to make them any longer! [Wink]

Forget it, you don't have a case length problem so don't make one. Load 'em,shoot 'em and enjoy it.

Posts: 1615 | Location: South Western North Carolina | Registered: 16 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
normally that might be fine, but I use these cases for 1000+ yd shooting and I like to make every case identical to eliminate any source of inaccuracy. And turning the necks of cases of different overall lengths causes the shoulder to be cut too deep or the neck not being cut enough, it's pointless unless they're all exactly the same length.

Not to mention that when you buy the best brass possible and pay $1.00 or more a case it should be the right length. I've never had this problem with any other brass and it's annoying.

The first time I bought Norma brass the primer pockets where too shallow and I had to trim an excessive amount of brass out of them to get the primers to seat properly. I would have gladly bought lapua if it was available, but due to the panic buying of uneducated, misinformed idiots nothing is available.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The only thing I've been impressed with about Norma brass is their price.
Find your shortest piece of brass and trim everything to that length. It'll work fine.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wasbeeman:
Find your shortest piece of brass and trim everything to that length. It'll work fine.

What he said. Don't worry about it.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bear in Fairbanks:
quote:

What he said. Don't worry about it.
Bear in Fairbanks

tu2 X 3 beer roger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Either trim to the shortest length, or shoot the brass until it exceeds the length you determine. It's surprising what only one firing / resizing will do to stretch a case.

Posts: 408 | Location: Johannesburg, RSA | Registered: 28 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
Every new case I have ever purchased for my 308, 3006, and 358 have been shorter than the SAAMI standard. I just full length size, match the primer pockets and flash holes and shoot.
After a few firings when I run them through the trimmer they begin to shave a bit off.
Note: I only neck size after the first loading and shooting and I run every piece of brass through the trimmer after sizing.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't buy Norma brass.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had the exact same problem with 338 LM brass from Norma.

for the price I would rather have purchased Lapua but was unavailable at the time

did not make any difference in that it is the only brass I have and it is now all trimmed to same length

loaded rounds are holding tight ES and SD over the chrono so I am not concerned but it would have made a difference if I had other "normal" sized brass to match up to.

Obviously Norma is not and will not be my go to manufacturer of precision brass-still is Lapua

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:

My limited experience also suggests that Norma is overated.

A batch of factory ammo which was so hot primers FELL out. Approximately half the cases, measured unfired and fired, were over max length. The brass jammed into the lead causing the pressure problem. Same problem in two different rifles - definitely the brass not the chamber.

Posts: 155 | Location: Victoria Australia | Registered: 30 October 2012Reply With Quote