New
Find
Notify
Tools

HP 38 and a DEWC
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
for 38 special loads . Anyone done well with this combination?

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
I prefer Speer 148 gr. HBWC with either Bullseye or W231( which is supposed to be HP 38).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey Jim, I've shot literally hundreds of thousands of them using the beginning load of HP38 shown in the Hodgdon Manual. I've tried varying the Seating Depth a bit from flush with the case-mouth with a Roll Crimp to seating in the first groove with a Roll Crimp. Just depends on the particular revolver what it will like the best.

Also, look at the end of the bullet as you go to stick it into the case-mouth, occasionally one end will be "smoother" around the edges than the other end. Put the smoothest end into the case first for the best accuracy.

Also had good luck with the HBWCs that Dan mentioned. Depending on the distance you are shooting, you can probably notice one style just shoots better in your revolver.

And I agree with Dan that WW-231 and HP-38 seem to create as close to the same Pressure as will be seen between two different Powders.

Always verify that in your own firearm though.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
HP-38 and W-296 are manufactured by the same company, then relabeled. H-110 and W-296 are also done the same way. I have used cast DEWC's with W-231 and have had good results. My favorite is 3.6gr W-231 and WSP primers in 357 Magnum brass. I also load the bullets with the casting sprue facing outwards, it does not look as nice, but it places the smoothest end at the rear and does seem to help with consistent accuracy.