Notify
Tools

Re: 458 Lott Pressure
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Paul,

Thanks for your post.
My Ruger #1 is a re-bore of a 458 Win. mag. Not sure yet as to the smith job, as I havn't shot it. The previous owner, shot it, and related no problems. There was an extraction problem that he had the smith work over before sending the gun. Very nice of him by the way, as I was going to have it taken care of myself.

Assuming normal bore and chamber specs, will your program compute the pressure. I know, what are normal specs you say.

Anyway, just curious as to the pressure with a reduced load. Seems this load should come in way under SAMMI.

Have been trying to come up with 2150 with low pressure. Not with a case such as the Lott, but with a short, fat one for short action gun. John Noveske is getting there, and hopefully he will do it.

Again, thanks

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Roger,

Quickload tends to overestimate pressures on straightwall cases, calculations done on some of my loads, as well as testing John Ricks has done with an Oehler 43 w/ strain gauges corroberate that.

More importantly, there are huge differences in the dimensions of Lott champers and throats. Is your 458 Lott a factory gun, or custom built?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gents,

Can someone with the computer program that gives pressure with load data only help me out.

There is a load in the loading pages at this site that shows a 500 gr. Hornady SP at 2149 fps.
77 grains of IMR 3031 was used and this is the load I plan on using in my Lott.

Thanks,

Roger QSL

Posts: 4428 | Location: Queen Creek , Az. | Registered: 04 July 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Roger,

I don't have quickload, my smith ran the calcs for me.

Now that I know what you are after, I'd suggest a slower powder than 3031. I used RL 15, and ~82 gr should provide 2150 and mild pressures.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote