Find
Notify
Tools

308 subsonic rounds
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi all,

I have a Steyr SSG69 with a T8 moderator in calibre 308win.

I've been wondering how quiet i could get it as i have a piece of deer ground which is noise sensitive.

So does anyone have any subsonic 308 loads or advice? I'd be particularly interested in the bullet drop between 100-200yds.

Thanks,
marc

Posts: 157 | Location: Scotland at the mo. | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi there,
A mate uses Clays and something heavy, 165 - 175grain heads I think. I'll ask tomorrow. Anyway, his load is just subsonic and drops around 20" over 100 yards from his moderated Accuracy International. Great laugh shooting it and very accurate. Sort of reminded me of a 300 whisper. To be honest, not much in the way of horse power though, it was around 400 ft-lbs at the muzzle but I'd expect it would hold a fair amount downrange. I'll post his load later mate, unless somebody here also loads 308 subs.

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
I have a bit of advice. This come strate from loading cast lead.
Advoid pistol powders if you can. The slower powders will give you better preformance in a long gun anyways. They were designed for it. Us a powder in which will fill the case the most. I have grown fond of using H or IMR 3031. My last recorded loads for a 167 cast RN GC was somewhere around 1800fps but your looking for under 1050fps.
I wrote to both Hodgtion and Accrute. Someone told me not long ago that Hodgtion willnot reply to email so you must call them. But Accrute will reply. I reseved reduced loads for all the calibers I use. I m sorry to say that I had stopped shooting a 308win about a year before emailing them.
Hodgton also owns IMR and Winchester powders.
There best way to get ahold of them is
913-362-9455
accurate Ballistician
johan@ramshot.com
In emailing back and forth with this guy, he is wicked nice and easy to deal with.
james

Disabled Vet(non-combat) - US Army
NRA LIFE MEMBER
Hunter, trapper, machinest, gamer, angler, and all around do it your selfer.
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well that was easy... 308 subsonic load came straight from Hodgdons web site. 8 grains of either Clays or Titegroup behind a 168gn Sierra BT. Looked it up for myself too and it's there.
sr 4759 is also a good choice for reduced velocity (according to my Speer no. 11 manual anyway).

Posts: 158 | Location: South East England | Registered: 16 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haggis:
Well that was easy... 308 subsonic load came straight from Hodgdons web site. 8 grains of either Clays or Titegroup behind a 168gn Sierra BT. Looked it up for myself too and it's there.
sr 4759 is also a good choice for reduced velocity (according to my Speer no. 11 manual anyway).

Where on there site did you find that info? Or did I totally miss something?

NRA LIFE MEMBER
Build my own CNC router from scratch. I installed the hight wrong. My hight moves but the rails blocks 3/4 of the hight.....

Posts: 934 | Location: North Anson Maine USA | Registered: 27 October 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
if you want subsonic loads with about any cartridge...

and want a full case or close to it...

then your 'one and only' and best option: Trailboss...

was designed for Cowboy Action shooters..

simple instructions from Hodgdon...don't compress it when loading it...other than that you are fine...

MVs in a rifle case are in about the 1100 fps range with a case full... just short of being compressed with the seated bullet...

back that off a hair and you have your subsonic load...

the powder is real bulky..like filling an 06 case up holds about 15 grains or so...

a 30/30 is about 10 or 11 grains..

so recoil is not an issue period...in about any caliber...

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hi there James,
On their menu at the top is a box called data, highlight it and "loading data" pops up, select that and you get the "Reloading Revolutionised" box, click that, click "Cartridge loads" on the next page and you get the load search page.
I selected the cartridge only, not the load type and clicked "Get data". It lists all the various loads for your selected cartridge then.

Seafire, you said it re Trailboss. I've had a tub on back order for a very long time over here. Was notified today it's arrived so I'm going to have a play with it soon...

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
Here is the kicker, I hadn't seen such loads anywhere. I didn't find reduced loads, I v been trying to email them for sometime to publish reduced loads.

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
i have done some loading for a friend with a suppressed 308. his is a 1:12 twist, and it will not stabilize heavy boat tails. heaviest we can get to stablize is a 170 grain round nose bullet. i use sierra. that and 9.6 grains of trail boss. if it is really hot outside, sometimes 9.7 won't crack. it is allright, plenty accurate. i dip the projectiles in molten lard and let them set before loading. cheaper than moly.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 390ish:
i have done some loading for a friend with a suppressed 308. his is a 1:12 twist, and it will not stabilize heavy boat tails. heaviest we can get to stablize is a 170 grain round nose bullet. i use sierra. that and 9.6 grains of trail boss. if it is really hot outside, sometimes 9.7 won't crack. it is allright, plenty accurate. i dip the projectiles in molten lard and let them set before loading. cheaper than moly.

Anyone ever load subs for 30-06, 303Brit, 7.62x54R RUSS, and my personal favorite 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser?

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by James Kain:
and my personal favorite 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser?

Mine too!
After my last post, I've been looking at Trail Boss some more but there's very little info out there at the moment that I can find. I did come across a fairly extensive set of tests on quarterbore for 308 subbies, the link is http://www.quarterbore.net/for...showthread.php?t=280 - so right up your street Marc, good luck there.
James if you find anything 6.5 swede, post it up mate! Thought I'd start around 8 grains, what do you guys think?

One of Us
Picture of James Kain
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Haggis:
quote:
Originally posted by James Kain:
and my personal favorite 6.5x55 Swedish Mauser?

Mine too!
After my last post, I've been looking at Trail Boss some more but there's very little info out there at the moment that I can find. I did come across a fairly extensive set of tests on quarterbore for 308 subbies, the link is http://www.quarterbore.net/for...showthread.php?t=280 - so right up your street Marc, good luck there.
James if you find anything 6.5 swede, post it up mate! Thought I'd start around 8 grains, what do you guys think?

I have some reduced loads for previous chambers stated. If you want any pm me so we don't steel the thread.
I would still love to find out more about trail-boss. If what was stated about it is true, and knowing who its coming from it probably is. We are in business!

NRA LIFE MEMBER

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Just one thing worth considering Scotsgun, the law in Scotland specifies a muzzle velocity minimum of 2450fps for deer so using a subsonic load for deer would be illegal.

I had often thought that a subsonic load might be nice for shooting at targets though, specially on occasions when I have the range to myself. I think there was considerable discussion of subsonic loads on, if I recall correctly, the snipers hide forums. They posted lots of loads mostly using trail boss powder.

My incomplete recollection of the discussion was that the key was to develop the load with the moderator off the rifle to ensure that the bullets were stable. Not doing so introduced the significant risk of the bullet clipping a baffle in the moderator with possible damage to the mod, rifle and shooter. Once you are sure the bullet is stable, they suggested shooting at paper at several ranges from 25 yards watching carefully that all the holes were nice and round, then you attach the moderator. Some were claiming that the loudest noise was the firing pin dropping.

Edited as I think I got the name of the powder wrong.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

Some excellent advice.

Posts: 157 | Location: Scotland at the mo. | Registered: 27 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Powder for subsonic: VihtaVuori N-32C / "Tin Star".
It is for CAS-cartridges, because low bulkdencity, less free space in the case.
I use it subsinic loads for my .308Win and .357 Rem Maximum. diggin

Posts: 171 | Location: Finland | Registered: 17 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hopefully this is not too far off the immediate subject. I use a suppressor (is that the same as what you call a "moderator") on a 300 Whisper which is of course designed for subsonic shooting.
Yes you need a fast twist barrel to stabilize heavier, longer bullets an yes you can tear up the can with a non-stabilized round.
That being said, I have adapted other 308 and even my 270 barrels to accept the suppressor and shoot full throttle loadings.
The sound of the round doing odd IS significantly reduced -do not need ear plugs when shooting although the supersonic crack of the bullet cannot be quieted what is noticed is that the direction of the shot is very difficult to ascertain with the report of the suppressed firing.
The crack does not seem to disturb game nearly as much as the sound of the unsuppressed shot does.
Cannot say what the particular circumstances of where you shoot would be related to neighbors but there is no BOOM to upset sensitive ears.

Hope it added something to the discussion.

Gary