New
Find
Notify
Tools

reloading 8X58R Danish
 Login/Join

<gunboat>
posted
Hello all, this is my first post on this BB.

Can anyone give me advice for reloading the 8X58R Danish Krag cartridge for use in a Swedish RB? I am presently using 40 grains of IMR 4895 behind a 170 grain Speer SP. The pressures still seem to be low but I'm having the occasional misfire with the primer going off but the powder failing to ignite. Can this be because the case is only 2/3 full of powder? Has anyone developed loads for this cartridge that are safe for this rifle?

one of us
posted Hide Post
The only load I find for 8x58R in my books are in the "Wiederladen" from Dynamit Nobel 5�th ed.
Using the RWS soft point 196gr (=12,7gram)
OAL 77.0mm
Using Rottweil�s powder
R902 min31.0gr, max33.0gr=1837f/s
R903 min33.0gr, max36.0gr=1887f/s
R904 min37.0gr, max 39,5gr=1887f/s

About the primer failing to ignite the powder I would check that the passage from primer to powder and see if it is not blocked. If not I should change primers /
PerN

Posts: 108 | Location: Härnösand Sweden | Registered: 17 June 2001Reply With Quote
<gunboat>
posted
quote:
Originally posted by PerN:
The only load I find for 8x58R in my books are in the "Wiederladen" from Dynamit Nobel 5�th ed.
Using the RWS soft point 196gr (=12,7gram)
OAL 77.0mm
Using Rottweil�s powder
R902 min31.0gr, max33.0gr=1837f/s
R903 min33.0gr, max36.0gr=1887f/s
R904 min37.0gr, max 39,5gr=1887f/s

About the primer failing to ignite the powder I would check that the passage from primer to powder and see if it is not blocked. If not I should change primers /
PerN

PerN,
Thanks for the info. Any idea what IMR powders would be similar to the ones you mentioned? I'm looking on the net for any kind of cross-reference for different powder brands. My local gunstore is limited in what they stock.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
159 grain bullet...52.4 grains of IMR-3031
196 grain bullet...54.0 grains of IMR-4895
198 grain bullet...54.5 grains of IMR-4895

These are naturally maximum loads...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
This is from Lapua's Reloding manual 1993
Where thay have tried to group the powders after burnrate.It says in the manual
"The relative burnig rates of some of the most common powder are presented in the following list. THE LIST GIVES ONLY AN INDICATIoN AND IT CAN NOT BE USED AS A GUIDE FOR RELOADING. In Certain calibers the mutual order of the powder may even change"
And that was before I tried to type it with the possibilitie of adding errors, So beware of the list

H4227
Nobel No3
200 Norma
R901 RWS

N120 Viht
IMR4198
H322
Reloader 7

BL-C(2)
TUBAL2

IMR3031
R902 RWS
Nobel No2

201 Norma

N133 Viht
202 Norma
748 W-W

H355
SP10

R903

IMR4064

IMR4895
Nobel No1
H4895
Reloader 12

N135 Viht
TUBAL4

IMR4320

N140 Viht
H380
R907 RWS
Reloader15
TUBAL5

H414
TUBAL6
760 W-W

R904

N150
Nobel No 0
IMR4350
H4350
Tubal7

Good luck/
PerN

Posts: 108 | Location: Härnösand Sweden | Registered: 17 June 2001Reply With Quote
<Guus Verheijen>
posted
It would appear to me that we are confusing cartridges: There are a number of 8x58R cartridges and the 8x58 R in the DN manual is not the same as 8x58R Danish cartridge!
I scanned my files and came up with the following sources of info for the 8x58 R Danish:

Handloader #171, Cartridges of the World, Visier #10 October 1998 and a posting on Grey Beard Outdoors.
I hope this helps

By the way: What is the measured case capacity of the 8x58 R Danish?

Guus Verheijen

<gunboat>
posted

Guus,

I checked to see how much IMR 4895 the 8X58R Danish would hold, still leaving room to seat the bullet. I came up with 60 grains.

I think the data from Cartridges of the World, except for the original military loading, is way too hot for a rolling block action. The first shot I fired from this gun had a load of 52.5 grains of some unknown powder. I say unknown because I bought the ammo already loaded from AmmoDepot. The primer was flattened and the case stretched so bad it would not come within .035 of rechambering. I suspect AmmoDepot was loading per the data in COTW. I pulled all the bullets from the rest of that batch and dumped the powder. Now I'm working up slowly with IMR 4895.
My misfire problem, as has been said, may be due to a relatively cool primer or possible primer orifice restriction. I will have to check that.
Is there inherent danger in firing this cartridge if the case is only 2/3 full? I've heard about the phenomenon of detonation.

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
The data I posted is for the cartridge you specified. The 8x58R Danish.

As for detonation, that may only occur in very large cases with very small powder charges. I say "may" because in over 50 years of shooting and 40 years of reloading I have never personally experienced this situation, nor have I ever met an honest reloader who has said that he has.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi again
I trust that Guus has the right data but for your curiosity I give you the data of the 8x58R cartridge in DN (in mm)

Rim 12,7mm
Case above rim 11,05mm
Case length 58,5mm (including rim)
No shoulder

The brass used in the DN book are reformed from 9,3x72R

So now you know what I almost tricked you with

PerN

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hi again!
Maybe better luck this time with the 8x58R

I found this page on the net
http://www.jaktwebben.com/Handladdning/Fragor/svar16.html
It is about the 8x58R Danish krag and suggest the load of Normas Alaska 12,7 gram (196gr) and 45gr Norma 202 or 46gr Viht N-140
They also show how you can make the brass from 45-70Gov. Sorry to say the page are in Swedish but there are pictures and numbers that may help you on your way/
PerN

<gunboat>
posted
PerN,
Ah yes, there seem to be quite a few different cartridges that are 8 X 5Y where Y=any number between 2 and 8 inclusive!

I looked at that page in Swedish. It looks like it has some useful info. I can't read Swedish, or Danish or even German, but I know some folks who will take a stab at it for me. Thanks for the lead.
Gunboat

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunboat:
PerN,
Any idea what IMR powders would be similar to the ones you mentioned?

This list isn't IMR powders, but Norma and Reloder are available in the USofA.

Ken Howell's book (Designing & Forming Custom Cartridges) lists (page 574):

Rottweil R902 = Norma N203 = Reloder 15
Rottweil R904 = Norma N204 = Reloder 19
Rottweil R905 = Norma MRP = Reloder 22
Norma MRP is about the same as N205

Shooting Times magazine (1988 June, page
12) says the same thing about the Norma
powders and Reloder powders. captn

Posts: 238 | Location: earth | Registered: 03 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Don't worry 'bout the strength of the RB action, it'll hold! I have a 8x58R Action that has been rebarreled with a 50 BMG barrel and chambered for 500 Nitro Express. It'll eat the hottest loads for this calliber and stand the pace. Barrel came from a Spitfire that ended it's days in Sweden during WWII.

Henrik

Posts: 1102 | Location: Denmark | Registered: 15 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Forgot to ask: Do you use military cases that use Berdan primers? They tend to clog up in the "werry" small channels leading from primer to powder. they were only meant to be fired once, not reloaded many times. Thorough cleaning or opening this channels slightly (to say 1,25-1,5 mm) will solve this problem once and for all.

Henrik

<gunboat>
posted
Henrik,
You say you rebarreled your Swedish RB to 500 nitro express? I am amazed at the strength of that action which was basically made for black powder. Any idea what level of pressure it generates?
I have now fired all my brass one time. It is commercial stuff made by resizing 45-70. I checked to make sure all the primer holes or channels are wide open. The plan is now to load up 43 grains of IMR4831 behind a 170 grain Speer and see how it groups.

<gunboat>
posted
The saga continues...
I just got back from the range. With 43 grains of IMR4831, about 10 granules of powder are unburned in the barrel after each shot. Velocity is low, the pressures were so low that the necks have not expanded. Seeing as I'm already leaving unburnt powder, I guess I'll have to go back to the faster burning IMR4895.

[This message has been edited by gunboat (edited 10-20-2001).]

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gunboat:
The saga continues...
I just got back from the range. With 43 grains of IMR4831, about 10 granules of powder are unburned in the barrel after each shot.

Why so low load
Compared with 45gr of N202 with a heavier bullet, this looks more like a reduced load?
PerN

one of us
Picture of The Dane
posted Hide Post
Gunboat, actually it's a mix breed! The action is from a model 1896 wich is the original for the 8x58R and therefore nitro proofed per se, and the barrel from a 50 BMG as i have told, so both are up for the job. I'm not trough develloping a perfect load for BP, after all it's a long distance gun and i'll use it at +500 meters for targets. Twist is 1/16" so i need a bullit of more than 6 cm in length, that's over 750 grains and so far i have not been able to find such a mold. The biggest i'we found and ordered is a 650 grain SAECO that's special order and i'll have to wait for them to make it first. Currently i pack 145 grains of Swiss #1� behind a 450 grain Lee bullit, that gives just under 1900 fps at the muzzle. Plan to use some nitro when time comes.
Henrik

<gunboat>
posted
PerN,
You are right, it was a very mild load. I had been up to 40 gr of IMR 4895 but I was getting occasional misfires. I thought the misfires might be from the case being only a little over half full, so I went to a slower powder (IMR 4831) thinking I could fill up the case more.

But that wasn't the right way to go so now I've loaded 43 gr of IMR 4895 and am using new primers.

This the first reloading I've ever done and I'm going slow and careful so I don't overpressure anything. I'm just starting to get a glimpse of how case volume, bullet weight, and bullet diameter can affect the performance of a given weight of a certain powder.