New
Find
Notify
Tools

Now I Wait
 Login/Join

<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Just ordered a box of 100 grain GS Custom HVs in .257 for my .25-06 and 2 boxes of 160s in .308 for the .300 RUM.

Anybody got recipes for them with these bullets?

------------------
Be content with what you have but never with who you are.

<Don G>
posted
I'm waiting, too! My rifle is on a slow train from John Ricks (Washington State), to me in Ohio.

I never shot either of those cartridges, so my only advice is generic. I usually don't use magnum primers, but Gerard advocates them for pretty much all his bullets.

He wants to kick the bullet out of the case with the primer, then the powder has a bigger "effective case" by the time it starts to light up good. I think I'd try his recipe, with a boatload of slow powder!

What's the twist on that 25-06?

Don

one of us
posted Hide Post
IMR or Hodgdon 4831 is a good powder for the 25-06. I don't agree with the magnum primer recommendation for the 25-06. In my experience magnum primers produce less accurate loads unless you really need them for reliable ignition.

[This message has been edited by LE270 (edited 01-04-2002).]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Ol' Sarge>
posted
Dong, er Don G,

Hmmm did you add a space in your user name?

It's 1 in 10.

My pet load for this rifle is a 100 grain Ballistic Tip over 56 grains of IMR4831. I don't know exactly how fast it's going, but plenty fast, and it's a tack driver. The case is almost completely full (slight compression). I might need to go to a faster powder with the MUCH longer bullet.

H4831HC may be a good candidate.

I'm against using magnum primers unless my loads are heavily compressed and still well below max pressure. That don't happen very often. Accuracy is usually better with standard primers.

------------------
Be content with what you have but never with who you are.