New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-06 loads for the 165 GMX?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Does anyone have a favorite load for the 165 GMX in the 30-06? I do not have the latest Hornady loading manual. Can it be loaded like the 165 Interlock?

Thanks

Larry

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
8th edition Hornady manuals shows all 165 and 168 gr bullets in the same loading table.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Great. That's what I needed. THANKS!

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
My favorite loads for the 30-06 with 165 grain bullets are:
55.3 grains of H414, WWLRP, OAL of 3.25"

and

46.7 grains of H4895, CCI 200, OAL of 3.26"

The H4895 load shoots to .5" at 100 yards and the H414 shoots to .625" at 100 yards.

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
I posted this on your other thread:
quote:
Originally posted by JBrown:
Last year I loaded the 150 GMX in my 30-06. At that time Hornady was recommending using a mid range load for a cup and core bullet as the max load for the GMX.

So no, it cant be loaded like the interlock. Max load for the GMX will be a couple of grains less.

I am sold on the GMX. It is an accurate and deep penetrating son of a gun. I found seating the bullet about .080 off the lands gave great accuracy in my rifle(seemed like way too much, UNTIL I shot it!)

Bren7x64

Can you confirm: does your Hornady #8 manual actually show the GMX? I ask because Hornady was not recommending their standard data be used with the GMX in the past.

Hornady's #9 manual is supposed to have data for the GMX.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Hornady 9th Edition Manual also has the GMX listed with all the other 165 grain bullets. Hornady's web site says this about the GMX: "Compatible with conventional reloading data" The GMX is made out of the same material that bullet jackets are made from and not solid copper. Info says they load comparable to the Hornady SST.

one of us
Picture of JBrown
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by rg1:
Hornady 9th Edition Manual also has the GMX listed with all the other 165 grain bullets. Hornady's web site says this about the GMX: "Compatible with conventional reloading data" The GMX is made out of the same material that bullet jackets are made from and not solid copper. Info says they load comparable to the Hornady SST.

That is great "news"(I'm not really up on such things, obviously...).

The GMX is a great bullet. I am going to use them exclusively in my 30-06 and 270.

Jason

"You're not hard-core, unless you live hard-core."

Hunting in Africa is an adventure. The number of variables involved preclude the possibility of a perfect hunt. Some problems will arise. How you decide to handle them will determine how much you enjoy your hunt.

Just tell yourself, "it's all part of the adventure." Remember, if Robert Ruark had gotten upset every time problems with Harry
Selby's flat bed truck delayed the safari, Horn of the Hunter would have read like an indictment of Selby. But Ruark rolled with the punches, poured some gin, and enjoyed the adventure.

-Jason Brown

Posts: 6838 | Location: Nome, Alaska(formerly SW Wyoming) | Registered: 22 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bren7X64
posted Hide Post
quote:
I posted this on your other thread:
quote:
Last year I loaded the 150 GMX in my 30-06. At that time Hornady was recommending using a mid range load for a cup and core bullet as the max load for the GMX.

So no, it cant be loaded like the interlock. Max load for the GMX will be a couple of grains less.

I am sold on the GMX. It is an accurate and deep penetrating son of a gun. I found seating the bullet about .080 off the lands gave great accuracy in my rifle(seemed like way too much, UNTIL I shot it!)

Bren7x64

Can you confirm: does your Hornady #8 manual actually show the GMX? I ask because Hornady was not recommending their standard data be used with the GMX in the past.

Hornady's #9 manual is supposed to have data for the GMX.

Yup - seven bullets there of which the first is the GMX.

Also present are Interbond, SST, AMAX, SP, BTSP and BTHP.

--
Promise me, when I die, don't let my wife sell my guns for what I told I her I paid for them.

Posts: 1048 | Location: Canberra, Australia | Registered: 03 August 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys. That's what I was hoping. As always, I will start lower and work up. I picked up 150 of the GMX bullets and just had not had time to load them until now.

Larry