New
Find
Notify
Tools

180 Barnes TSX in my 300WinMag!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have come up with a great load using the new Barnes 180 TSX. Seating depth is best in my gun at 0.050" off the lands. I am using H4831 in Lapua cases and getting 3080 fps from the 25" barrel. With the best load I have fired 2 groups at 250 yards, 3 groups at 400 yards and 2 groups at 500 yards. The worst group as far as MOA goes was a 6.04" group at 500 yards. The average group size for those 7 groups (all were 3 shot groups) was exactly 1 MOA. Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
What's the gun?

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester Model 70 Classic Stainless with a Lothar Walther stainless barrel. Rimrock synthetic stock. Swarovski 3-9 AV scope. Rufous.

Posts: 224 | Location: Walla Walla, WA 99362 | Registered: 05 December 2001Reply With Quote
<Guest>
posted
How well is the scope holding up??

one of us
posted Hide Post
How do you like that rimrock stock ? I am thinking of getting one for my custom 270 feathereight ! Did you have them fit and piller bed it or is It a drop in ? I think a desert cammo version would be great on my .270 and mabye a mossy oak on my other featherweight a.308 !
...tj3006

Posts: 129 | Location: Portland oregon | Registered: 12 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Blue, I think it is holding up fine but I have noticed a couple times that it did not seem to hold zero. I recently flew to Alaska for a black bear hunt and the bullets were hitting 5" high at 150 yards (the high point in the trajectory) instead of 2.5" high. I figured it was mishandled by the baggage handlers. But then Friday evening I shot a group at 250 that seemed perfectly zeroed and then when I shot the group at 400 yards (after dialing up 13 clicks on the elevation knob) my 2.65" group at 400 yards was 3.5" low instead of right on. The group sizes are obviously good (for a 9# big game rifle- this is not a 20# benchrest rifle) but I am having some doubts about its holding zero. Though I would think if it was not holding zero the group sizes would be big. Why do you ask? Have you had problems with a Swarovski scope? Rufous.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I like the stock just fine. I bought it several years ago before Borden bought them. It is pillar bedded. It is heavier than I would really like though. Rufous.