Find
Notify
Tools

Building and reloading, 7mm08 imp.
 Login/Join

<rolf>
posted
Would appreciate some help here.
I�m considering building the above on a Rem 788 action.
Opinions on the action please.
Any reloading data you have would be most welcome.
Can I use the maxloads for the 7mm08 and work up from there?
If you have the caliber in question I would be most grateful if you could tell me about the spesific rifle you have and your experiensis with the caliber. //Rolf

one of us
posted Hide Post
A few years back Layne Simpson wrote a bunch of articles on a (then) wildcat called the 7mm SGLC (super good little cartridge). What it was was a 7mm-08 Improved. Very impressive velocities (3000 fps with 140 gr Noslers, if I remember correctly), the rifle was built on one of the Weatherby Varmintmasters (a scaled down Weatherby Mk V). I know there are a lot of Improved cartridge naysayers out there, but I've always had excellant results from all the one's I've built. The 788 is a great action, usually very accurate with a very short locktime. It is a rear locking action, so some care will need to be exercised when you get close to hot loads. Make sure you start with a 308 length action, not the 222/223 size. I have a 788 in stock 7mm-08 format, and in that particular rifle I can't use the top loads in a few manuals (Hodgedons, Noslers). That may be a rifle thing though, because the other four 788's I own (including a 22-243 Middlestead) don't have that problem. The other thing that becomes a concern is feeding from the clip. Some of them will feed well, some of them will have to have the internal magazine lips (really just pressed in ridges in the stamped magazine body) massaged a little. The magazine can also be easily extended for a longer COL, but this will require a little stock and action work to accomodate the extra length. Synthetic stocks are available from Brown, Garrett, and Ramline. I've been meaning to build one of these (a 7mm-08 AI) on an ultra light action on of these days, but I have too many projects on the go now. Oh, there is also an article on this cartridge in the Wolfe Wildcats book, the thick one. Hope that helps a little. - Dan

[ 11-17-2002, 21:46: Message edited by: dan belisle ]

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
<TDS27>
posted
I've got a 7mm-08 Ackley Improved on a mod. 700 action with a 26" Douglas barrel. My favorite load is 46 grs. Varget behind a 140 gr. Nosler BT. I'm getting around 3100 fps with this load with exellent accuracy.