Find
Notify
Tools

Winchester USA with WCC Headstamp???
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted
I needed som 9MM brass so I bought a few boxes of Win white box 9MM ammo and the only headstamp I've ever seen is the WIN headstamp. A few of these boxes have WCC and a small O with a plus in the center. Also the primers look to be crimped.
Anyone have any info on these?
Thanks.

Posts: 1086 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It sounds like military brass. I read something a long time ago that the "O" with the plus or cross in the middle has to do with it having some sort of NATO approval. It has been a long time since I've seen anything about that so I may be totally wrong.

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are correct, HB. A cross in a circle means it's military brass. The primer is most likely crimped down and lacquered, too. I have many, many cases in .223 that sport the WCC headstamp, all of it military.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
They advertise this stuff as "military overruns" and that stands to reason with your description of the headstamp. If you're not aware already the WCC stands for Western Cartridge Company and has long been a Winchester subsidiary.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Military overruns? I'd rather these overruns were sent to Iraq and came to rest in some islamo-fascist's ass-- or forehead.

Posts: 2758 | Location: Fernley, NV-- the center of the shootin', four-wheelin', ATVin' and dirt-bikin' universe | Registered: 28 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Boss Hoss
posted Hide Post
I have a 20mm ammo can dead level full of WCC 45 brass--it is mil spec or at least it has the thicker case. Years ago I mixed a few commercial pieces in with them and the 3.2 gr of bullseye would not function the slide when one was fired! If you look at them there is no need to measure as the difference is apparant. They also reload just like commercial brass! Good stuff!! Mine is all from 86 and 88.

Posts: 1004 | Registered: 08 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I forgot to ask if the year was listed on the case also?

Posts: 527 | Location: Tennessee U.S.A. | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It is on US-made ammo. It shows up as a two-digit number: 94 or 02, et cetera. You can also tell who made it; LC is Lake City. Some say it's the best military brass going.

One of Us
Picture of nvmichael
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the replys.
I'll keep this brass separated from my other brass. I have a lot of military brass in 45acp that I have used for many years. Some of it I cannot make out the headstamp any more. Great stuff.

hvy barrel, the brass is date stamped 05.

Primers do not look like they are lacquered.

Posts: 1086 | Location: NV | Registered: 27 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A lacquered primer will show a very slight ring of red around the periphery of the primer. Sometimes, it's green; this is usually on ammo of foreign manufacture.