THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Load for Browning BAR 270 Win. TXS (130 grain)
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I bought a Browning Longtrac (self-loading) in 270 Winchester for a friend for Christmas. I thought I would load up some ammo for him to sight it in after he opens it.

Anyone have a recipe for the 130 gain Barnes TSX in this caliber?

In my bolt action I am shooting 59 grains of RL-22, with excellent accuracy, but that is slightly over max in reloading manuals.

I know the Browning autoloaders like full power loads, but I don't want to push the envelope on his new present.

Thanks,
Garrett

Posts: 987 | Location: Orlando, FL | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Browning BAR 270,worst rifle I ever seen.I bought it a long time ago as a present to someone in my family who was really into semi-autos.Its mechanism did not operate for very long.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My experience with an original BAR .270 is that you need to keep port pressures down by using powders that are "medium" rather than "slow" for the caliber (slower burning powders maintain their pressure curve longer, so may produce higher pressures at the gas port several inches down the barrel from the chamber). My .270 BAR exhibited signs of excessive port pressure with surplus 4831, so I would use nothing faster than perhaps 4350. I think that the RL-22 might be slow enough that it would give you port pressure probems. Of course, the Longtrac is a different gun and may behave differently.

As opposed to shootaway's experience, my BAR is quite accurate and utterly dependable in function. I had a lot of fun with a mob of hogs that trotted by my deer stand last year. mgun

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It worked well for a while and then all of a sudden it would not eject and feed.I think the barrel was shot out and pressures were not high enough to function the mechanism.

Posts: 11651 | Location: Montreal | Registered: 07 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will, at some point anyway, probably need small base dies.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a good load with the 130 TSX .270 Win using W-W brass and Rel # 19 (57.00 grains)

In my rifle there is no evidence of excess pressure, however I have to seat the bullet out of the case approximately .020" below the second groove, this does make for a long O.A.L which may preclude experiment in an autoloader.

Also very little bullet shank is left in the case neck under neck tension, again no problem in a smooth feeding bolt action but I wonder whether such a situation would be ideal in an auto-loader, sorry I have no knowledge of the BAR.

In general the TSX bullets can and do shoot accurately and are far easier to wring out the accuracy than are the ordinanry "X" bullets.

Good luck

Posts: 343 | Location: York / U.K | Registered: 14 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Every .270 BAR I've seen work great with a max load of H-4831

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote