Find
Notify
Tools

Up to date Powder Burning Rate Chart??
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted
Anyone have good chart that covers most of the new stuff??

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve's Pages also has a list.

http://www.again.net/~steve/page8.htm

Posts: 445 | Location: Connellsville, PA | Registered: 25 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,

Hodgdon has a decent one as well...

http://www.hodgdon.com/data/general/burnratechart.php

6.5 Bandit

one of us
Picture of Vibe
posted Hide Post
OK. Why is it that HP-38 and W231 are listed as having different burn rates here

http://gunlinks.zibycom.com/members/002245268/Site2/burnrate.html

Last I heard they were exactly the same powder sold through different marketing networks.

Posts: 211 | Location: Little Rock, AR. USA | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
You can get a free one from Ramshot powders.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Take any of the "relative burning rate" charts with a grain of salt. Every one I have seen has some obvious discrepancies with one or another powder, but more importantly, some powders behave much differently when fired in cases of varying capacities and with bullets of varying weights.

As an example, H335 (spec WC 844) and BL-C2 (spec WC 846) are sometimes listed as faster or slower than one another on various charts. While most experienced shooters consider H335 to be faster, this difference is sometimes only apparent as the case capacity becomes more voluminous, at which point there can be almost a ten percent difference in the amount of each powder to achieve similar pressures. One the other hand, in a small case like the .223, the difference in burning rates between these two powders is much more ambiguous.

In short, NEVER depend on a relative burning rate table as a guide for powder substitutions. Use such a table only as a reference for what might work well as compared to a powder in the similar burning rate range.

Posts: 13247 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to the Ramshot web site. Their burn rate chart lists 152 powders(!) including the new
Alliant RL10X, so it's pretty up-to-date.

www.ramshot.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
The Ramshot one is the most up to date I have seen, but it does lack H414.

I could pick away all day at details, like the South African one above has Ramshot Enforcer and AA#9 on different lines, yet they are the same powder.

But the big issue with me is that the powder speed changes with pressure, and different powders change at different rates. Thus a relatively fast powder like 800X or Power Pistol becomes one of the slower pistol powders when all powders are tested at very high pressures.

Posts: 2249 | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I've almost given up on updating my burning rate chart.

Every manufacturer I contacted gave different relative burning rates!

Hell, even the rates from one manufacturer change every time they publish a new list.

If they don't know what they are doing, how are we supposed to know?

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Magnum Mike
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys, i will check em all out! [Wink]

Posts: 1574 | Location: Western Pennsylvania | Registered: 12 September 2002Reply With Quote
<Francois>
posted
So can i use H4350 in replacement of IMR4350 in my 375 wby.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Steve,
I know what you're talking about. Although I really need to add a few of the newer powders to the chart I have on SST's Rifle Room, revamping the order is a waste of time. Unlike you, I actually had problems getting some of the powder companies to compare their powders with another company's powder, since the order can be so subjective, depending on how a particular powder is used.

There are just too many folks who don't realize that a powder next to another in the chart can be a near twin, or dramatically different in burn rate, even under the same conditions. I don't know how many people actually read the disclaimers on burn rate charts, but they are there for very good reasons.

[ 08-15-2003, 19:31: Message edited by: SST ]

Posts: 529 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 31 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Francois, usually, H4350 is considered a little slower than I4350. They cannot be exchanged, but they are similar enough to be useable in the same applications. Remember that there is lot to lot variation in powder, and conceivably, a fast lot of H4350 could be faster than a slow lot of I4350.

When you work up your h4350 load, chances are you'll end up with a grain or so more powder.

Never, ever "just substitute".

Another comprehensive chart that includes lots of foreign powders:

http://www.adi-limited.com/handloaders-guide/equivalents.html

HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote