Find
Notify
Tools

My eyes, there burning!!!
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted
You should of seen me come stumbling out of my shop today heading for the well to flush out my eyes.

My old man's 10/22 was siezing up because of neglect so I took here apart for a good cleaning. To make a short story shorter I was using a can of gun scrubber when I sprayed a little to hard and a good amount backfired off the part into my eyes. Holy shit that stings!

Thinking back it's kind of funny because the first thing that came to mind was " will I be able to shoot again?". I don't want to drive anywhere because the way my eyes look I would for sure get a 24hr from the police!

Go ahead and laugh. [Big Grin] [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the heads up!!! I was going to have the miss(s) start cleaning her contact lenses in it [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
boilerroom:
You should seek medical attention pronto. The chemicals in gun scrubber are the same as brake parts cleaner! You gotta see to shoot!
muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
<CARR4570>
posted
Been there and done that! I was a little kid playing with my dad's tools and got hold of some engine degreaser and proceded to squirt my eyes full. I screamed the whole time my parents were washing my eyes and then all the way to the er then while they cleaned my eyes out in the er. I was little but I still remember it vividly. Well as vividly as I could since I couldn't see, but there was screaming--lots of screaming

one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
Humm, seems to me that is why safety glasses were invented......

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Did you say those famous last words....."Hey Bubba watch this."? [Roll Eyes]

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
DB ...lol [Big Grin] [Big Grin]

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Scary stuff man, you should be more careful, but I guess things like this just happen.

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of Bakes
posted Hide Post
I wacked a cane toad (a big sucker)with a stick that was in our kennels. Some of its poison flew up straight into my eyes. I staggered over to the fire hose and opened that baby up into my eye. I flushed out the poison but I think the water pressure bruised my eye lid, because it hurt everytime I blinked [Big Grin] I don't wack the toads anymore.

Bakes

Posts: 8029 | Location: Bloody Queensland where every thing is 20 years behind the rest of Australia! | Registered: 25 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've always wanted to ask :

What does "bubba" mean?

Posts: 638 | Location: O Canada! | Registered: 21 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
HA HA HA HA HA HA HAAA!

Hey, you said, go ahead and laugh.

I worry about stalking through the woods and getting poked in the eye by some low tree branch!
Another good use of glasses!

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Any time you get anything in your eyes, the procedure is to flush them for at least 15 minutes with running water. Don't think you're helping yourself by getting to the emergency room 15 minutes earlier. All the time you took getting there, whatever you got in your eyes is eating away at them. The first thing they will do is flush your eyes for 15 minutes. Then they will look at them. After washing your eyes for 15 minutes, they will feel like crap. You might want to have a doctor look at them.

The stuff that stung your eyes is methylene chloride. It also stings if it gets in the web between your fingers.

One of the worst things you can get in your eyes is rust or metal shavings. There are a couple of strains of bacteria that live especially well on metal and rust surfaces. They can destroy your eye in a couple hours. When I say destroy, I mean pull it out and cover the hole. Definitely get to a doctor if you get metal in your eyes, and don't rub them when your hands are rusty.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of boilerroom
posted Hide Post
My eyes are fine thank goodness. The well is only 20 feet from the shop and the water is allways ice cold. That was yesterday and even the redness has gone.

I will use glasses next time I use that stuff though. Lesson learned. [Embarrassed]

I must say that cyenne pepper hurts worse and my eyes stayed red for days. I still don't cook with safety glasses on. [Big Grin]

Posts: 4326 | Location: Under the North Star! | Registered: 25 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Embalmer>
posted
You think that stings? Try getting Embalming fluid in your eyes! lol It looked like my eyes imploded when I got a buch of the fluid in my eyes on accident. The entire whites of my eyes were red. It looked like they were full of blood.

Now that stings! Nothing like embalming part of your anatomy while you are still alive! haha

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is this embalming thing something you can do at home like reloading. Always looking for something in my spare.

Posts: 31 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Inserting contact lenses soaked in hydrogen peroxide instead of saline will spoil your day too.

Posts: 2258 | Location: Bristol, England | Registered: 24 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So will farting in a carload of guys with the windows rolled up.

Posts: 258 | Location: Baltimore, Maryland US of A | Registered: 01 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
A number of years ago I was mucking about under the hood of my truck, which was running.

I don't remember what the problem was, but all of a sudden one of the batteries starts "fizzing."

I glanced over at it just in time for the battery to POP two of it's chambers out, basically blowing up.

I got battery acid all over my face, and in my eyes.

Luckily, it was winter, and I dropped face first into the snow, forced my eyelids open and washed my eyes with snow. I was very scared I was going to be blinded.

The quick dive into the snow paid off, and I was left with my eyes just fine and no scarrignon my face. The jacket that I was wearing formed numerous holes in it, burnt by the acid.

Good thing I wasn't in the desert! [Smile]

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
the final reloading!! I was curious as to if they could heat up felix lube and use it to imbalm me on that faithful day!!
quote:
Originally posted by Embalmer:
You think that stings? Try getting Embalming fluid in your eyes! lol It looked like my eyes imploded when I got a buch of the fluid in my eyes on accident. The entire whites of my eyes were red. It looked like they were full of blood.

Now that stings! Nothing like embalming part of your anatomy while you are still alive! haha

Posts: 1404 | Location: munising MI USA | Registered: 29 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of John Y Cannuck
posted Hide Post
Hey Embalmer.
Do you have one of those pasty white funeral director faces? from working inside all day?
Just thinking what you'd look like walking around the funeral home with red eyes.
Kinda like a Boris Karloff thing. [Big Grin]

Posts: 872 | Location: Lindsay Ontario Canada | Registered: 14 April 2001Reply With Quote