Find
Notify
Tools

Lee Collet dies
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted
I have been thinking about getting a collet die for my .308. I have heard that they work good, but that you might need to polish the inside up a bit.

Anyone have experience with Lee collet dies?

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use them in a couple of calibers. They work great. I haven't had to do anything to them. The advantages are (1) you can neck-size only with them; (2) you don't need to use lube; and (3) there is no expander ball to pull the neck out of alignment when sizing.

Posts: 189 | Location: San Jose, CA | Registered: 02 January 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ditto to BigBrass! I have modified some of mine so when using cast bullets, I don't have to expand the neck.

Posts: 212 | Location: Louisiana, U.S.A. | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I love the collet dies, although I have found it if not outright necessary, at least advantageous to polish away the tooling marks and burrs from the inner workings and apply a dab of grease where the collet and collet sleeve slide against each other. Since I started using these, I haven't considered using another neck die, including the Redding S dies collecting dust in my cabinet.

In addition to the advantages BigBrass mentioned, this die will probably produce the most consistently concentric ammo you've ever loaded. That is, if your seating die and press are also up to the task.

Give it a try, it's not an expensive die at all. If you don't like it, you're not out much money.

Posts: 407 | Location: Olive Branch, MS | Registered: 31 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
Love 'em. No more lube if all you're doing is neck sizing.

When your cases get too large and you need to bump the shoulder back, get a Redding Body Die. With a Head and Shoulders Gauge from Stoney Point you can set the Redding die set just right for a Partial Full Length Resizing job and then use the Lee Collett die for sizing the neck.

If you get the right size washer, when you use the Lee Collett Die you can put the washer on top of the shell holder around the case and leave part of the case the fire formed size. I think it will help center the loaded round in the chamber.

I have heard stories about reloaders putting too much pressure on the handle when using the Lee die and busting the aluminum cap. It only takes firm pressure. I screw the Lee die in until it hits the shell holder and then back it out 2 full turns. Firmly finger tighten the Lee lock nut and it will stay there.

Some say that the Lee does not size the same as the regular ones with the expander ball and the bullets are not gripped as firmly. Don't know, but I have a Lee Factory Crimp Die and put a light crimp on them anyway.

Without guns we are subjects (or victims), with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
NEJack,
I have used Lee collet dies for about 15 years and like them very much. The dies I use the most are in 7 BR and I have loaded many thousands of rounds with it. I have not felt the need to polish the die "insides" but I do disassemble the die and clean it every 1500-2000 rounds. I clean it because the collet begins to stick. Cleaning the die is very easy as it can be taken apart, cleaned and put back together in 5 minutes or so.
Hope this helps,

Greg

Posts: 117 | Location: Wisconsin , USA | Registered: 07 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just got thru using a set in 35 Whelen. They are pretty good dies. As someone said above, I don't find any need to polish, but take 'em apart and clean and relube the collet itself.

Hubert

Posts: 432 | Location: Baytown, TX | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have used Lee collet dies for my 25-06, 300 WM and .35 Whelen since 1992. When I do my part, they produce sub-moa ammo in all three calibers.
Will be buying another set in .308 for my Remmy LTR.
Sako

Posts: 81 | Location: Savannah, Georgia | Registered: 03 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Looks like I will be ordering a set for my .308 soon. Thanks everyone!

Posts: 727 | Location: Eastern Iowa (NUTS!) | Registered: 29 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
As cautioned by one poster, don't over-stress the Collet die. I have found that the metal that contacts the shellholder is softer than the shellholder and can be "bradded" if you apply too much pressure with the press. If case necks are not reduced enough to give the bullet tension desired, don't just try squeezing harder; there are two fixes:

The first is to rotate the brass one-eighth turn after sizing while it is still in the shellholder and size again. This will squeeze the four tiny areas between the collet petals and provide both a rounder and tighter neck. It becomes second nature after only a bit of use and takes but a fraction of a second to perform.

If this method still doesn't give you adequate neck tension, chuck the decapping mandrel in a drill and reduce its diameter about .001" with emery cloth (doesn't require much sanding). I think that Lee produces the mandrels at maximum diameter, since you can always reduce them if necessary, but obviously can't go the other way.

If the Collet die were built with truly quality hardened steel and careful workmanship, it would cost twice as much but last a lifetime. As it is, it takes two Collet dies to last a lifetime, so it amounts to the same thing. Wink

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee's Collet Die is an excellent invention but I am getting away from neck sizing more and more. It produces accurate ammo for sure but if a full power load is used sooner or later the case will need FL sizing. Necks that have been crimped in a collet die do not stand up if the neck is sized in a conventional die.

Since I like reduced loads that's where I use collet dies. It's no big deal. They are not expensive and you can find out for yourself.

Join the NRA

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerWas going to ask about the collet dies but they seem to work but seems most people use them for neck sizing, is this what they are made for and not full length sizing?

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of woods
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Savage99:

Lee's Collet Die is an excellent invention but I am getting away from neck sizing more and more. It produces accurate ammo for sure but if a full power load is used sooner or later the case will need FL sizing. Necks that have been crimped in a collet die do not stand up if the neck is sized in a conventional die.

S99

I use the Lee Collet Dies in conjunction with the Redding Body Dies. When I need to bump the shoulder back to ease chambering, I set the body die to push it back as far as necessary and then Collett die to size the neck as usual.

Works for me.

quote:
Was going to ask about the collet dies but they seem to work but seems most people use them for neck sizing, is this what they are made for and not full length sizing?

The Lee Collet Dies only size the neck and do so with no lube cause there is no expander ball. Less runout and no lube in the neck.

Just my way of doing it but I wouldn't go back to the regular dies.

Without guns we are subjects or victims, with guns we are citizens

Chinese Proverb: When someone shares something of value with you and you benefit from it, you have a moral obligation to share it with others.

Posts: 2750 | Location: Houston, Tx | Registered: 17 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Blob1
...seems most people use them for neck sizing, is this what they are made for and not full length sizing?

Yes, the Collet Die is a NS die.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lee's Collet Die is an excellent invention but I am getting away from neck sizing more and more. It produces accurate ammo for sure but if a full power load is used sooner or later the case will need FL sizing. Necks that have been crimped in a collet die do not stand up if the neck is sized in a conventional die.QUOTE]

As stated above, full power loads will require full length sizing once in a while. Bolt resisitance is noticeable on third firing in my 30-06 target rifle and the loads, while full power, are not really hot.

I got around neck sizing while obtaining excellent concentricity by sending my RCBS sizing die back to facory along w/three fired, neck turned cases and RCBS" excellent customer service dept. opened up the neck so that no expander plug was needed. Can't say enough about RCBS C/Ser.

Have been thinking about the collet die for my 338 WM and possibly 375 h&h but have never used one. Since I set the sizing die using case headspace measuring gauges to set shoulder back minimally and headspace off shoulder on belted cases, wondering if it would be worthwhile to use a collet die until slight bolt friction is felt, then full length size?

[QUOTE] Necks that have been crimped in a collet die do not stand up if the neck is sized in a conventional die.

Savage 99: What problems did you encounter as noted above? Thanks.

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 915 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Necks that have been crimped in a collet die do not stand up if the neck is sized in a conventional die.

"Crimped in a collet die"? Are you talking about neck sizing or about crimping with a Lee Factory Crimp Die. And in either event, when subsequently "sized in a conventional die", in what way does the neck "not stand up"?

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not that Savage can't speak for himself, but I think he is referring to the sizing of the neck, as it is squeezed down around the decapping mandrel by the collet. The sizing operation leaves 4 (I think?) lightish sizing marks on the neck of the sized case. Now I'm guessing: that these sizing marks cause the neck to become less stable over time when sized with a regular die??

Maybe the use of the word "crimp" was confusing, as it normally refers to bullet crimping when we talk about dies??
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of flutedchamber
posted Hide Post
I have used the Lee collet dies in .223 and .308, both in my RCBS press and my Forster press. The Forster by far gives the least runout, always under .003. I cleaned up the tooling marks inside my dies, and used moly powder on a qtip, which seems to work fine.

flutedchamber

NRA LIFE MEMBER

You can trust the government. Look how well they took care of the American Indian...

Posts: 425 | Location: New Jersey The state sucks, but it's better than living in France. | Registered: 11 July 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hm1996
posted Hide Post
quote:
The sizing operation leaves 4 (I think?) lightish sizing marks on the neck of the sized case.

Wonder if these sizing marks might indicate working the brass at that area more/less than the rest of the case neck and, if so, could this be causing premature neck splitting???

Regards,
hm

2 Chronicles 7:14:
If my people, who are called by my name, will humble themselves and pray and seek my face and turn from their wicked ways, then will I hear from heaven and will forgive their sin and will heal their land.

Posts: 915 | Registered: 21 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hm1996:
quote:
The sizing operation leaves 4 (I think?) lightish sizing marks on the neck of the sized case.

Wonder if these sizing marks might indicate working the brass at that area more/less than the rest of the case neck and, if so, could this be causing premature neck splitting???

Regards,
hm

The Lee Collet die "works" the brass less than any other type of die. The Collet die only forces the neck down to the diameter of the mandrel, whereas conventional dies size the neck diameter smaller, then the expander button pushes it outward again, making for double working of the brass.

The four tiny areas between the petals of the Collet die are hardly worked at all. That's why I usually rotate the case 1/8th turn after initial sizing with the Collet die, then size again. This provides very slightly more neck tension and assures a perfectly round neck inside.

I still find Savage99's apparent assertion that brass sized in a Collet die will "not stand up" if subsequently sized in a conventional die puzzling. I can see no reason for it and would enjoy having the benefit of his experience.

one of us
Picture of NEJack
posted Hide Post
Just recieved the collet die today, and man this is too easy! I can't wait to see if this improves my accuracy, but even if it stays the same it will be worth it for the easy of use.