New
Find
Notify
Tools

RCBS Press Question
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Recently went to a RCBS Partner press from a Lee press. Lee's instructions with their dies say to adjust the die until it touches the shell holder, then 1 turn more for use with their press.I 've done this all along with no problems.

If using other presses, it says to adjust until die touches shell holder, then 2 turns more. Do you guy's do this?

It appears that the Partner press has a "overstroke" stop on it. How do you all adjust yours for use with Lee dies?

If using the Partner press, and "if" my neck tension changes, will I have a different POI with the rounds loaded using the Partner press?

Thanks in advance.

Posts: 153 | Location: Butler County, Ohio | Registered: 23 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As long as you are using the same brand of shell holder as you do die set--adjust per the die directions for any press. I wouldnt think that the press could influence the adjustment unless you had a lot of flex. For the same price I would have bought the Lee Classic cast press.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sorry just read your question again. I have never used the partner press but it seems that once the shell holder contacts the bottom of the die, in theory the case cant be forced any further into the die.

Hope this helps

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
One Of Us
Picture of new_guy
posted Hide Post
Don't RCBS die instructions suggest turning the die 1/8 to 1/4 turn past contact with the die?

I've never read of turning the die a full turn or two.

www.heymusa.com

HSC Booth # 306
SCI Booth # 3947

One of Us
Picture of Old Elk Hunter
posted Hide Post
Think about this a moment. If you turn the die down a turn or two past where it touches the shell holder then when you cycle the press you are using the maximum camming power of the press to push against the shell holder. Why in the world do you want to do that???? Adjust the die until it sizes the case to meet your needs and no further. Size some brass, cycle it through your rifle and make sure it is not too big. If you size your brass down further than necessary then you are moving the shoulder back on the case too much and are creating excessive headspace. Instead of blindly following the instructions, get a case gauge from Wilson or Sinclair. It will show you if you have sized the brass enough or too much. They are generally set up for SAAMI dimensions and should be safe. I can understand why folks who are new to reloading follow the procedure you are describing. I just suggest that there is a better way to do this. Your brass will last longer. Your press, dies, and shell holders will not be subjected to enormous unneeded stress. You won't have mysterious head space problems. Oh, and remember that RCBS and LEE shell holders have different dimesions. Don't interchange them.

RELOAD - ITS FUN!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Read over your instructions again.

If I recall correctly, they recommend something like 1/4 turn on their regular dies, and 2 turns on their Collet Dies.

The 1/4 turn thing is stupid because it puts unneeded strees on the press/dies/SH/brass etc.

The 2 turn thing is necessary for the Collet dies and Factory Crimp Dies b/c that is how they work.

-Spencer

posted Hide Post
I recall reading that:
With "CARBIDE" Dies.............
You adjust down to just:
"Touch the shell holder"
then
BACK OFF !!
The thickness of a business card.

Too much pressure will damage the carbide ring

It is the Mark
Of an Instructed Mind
Not to seek Exactness
But to accept the degree of precision
To which the nature of a subject
Will admit.
Aristotle

Posts: 11 | Location: No VA | Registered: 29 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with OEH ........in fact none of my dies have ever been pushed up against the shell holder. To get correct headspace and optimum case life and accuracy, cases should be sized in accordance with chamber dimensions. Richard Lee sells dies and loading crap....but fails miserably at getting loading facts across to his buyers.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of tiggertate
posted Hide Post
Being the typical guy that NEVER reads the instructions unless all else fails, I raise the ram to its max height and turn the die down until contact with a fairly firm twist to take up the slack. It's worked well enough for 30 years, even if its wrong.

If I'm only neck sizing I work the die down until after a few tries I'm right where I want to be.

"Experience" is the only class you take where the exam comes before the lesson.

Posts: 11137 | Location: Texas, USA | Registered: 22 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Swede44mag
posted Hide Post
I once had a set of Hornady dies in 30-06 and in the instructions it said to run it down tight to the shell plate and give it a little extra. I can't remember just how much a little extra was. When I used there method I ended up with cartridges that wouldn't extract from the rifle. Using a Wilson head space gauge I found out that I was pushing the shoulder back a good 20 thousandths. I ruined all of the 30-06 shells I loaded with this method and had many separate in the rifle with only the base coming out when I worked the bolt.

I no longer use there method or recommend it. The shells should only be sized enough to work properly in the rifle so the bolt will close with just a slight pressure. Wilson makes head space gauges for most all calibers some of them are adjustable and come with easy to understand directions. I highly recommend them.

Automatic rifles are another story.

I also have a Lee Hand Press it works fine for pistol cartridges but I no longer use it for rifle cartridges due to the fact that it will spring enough not to properly size a magnum cartridge such as a 7mm rem mag. I use a RCBS Rock chucker instead.

Swede

---------------------------------------------------------
NRA Life Member

Posts: 1608 | Location: Central, Kansas | Registered: 15 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A full turn after contact sure seems excessive to me... I go barely 1/8 turn after it makes contact with the die.

.22 LR Ruger M77/22
30-06 Ruger M77/MkII
.375 H&H Ruger RSM

Posts: 863 | Location: Mtns of the Desert Southwest, USA | Registered: 26 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
holy cow robin - I've never seen so many guys read instructions before using before

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What Triggergate said! This is the 'makes sense to me' method!

Posts: 3563 | Location: GA, USA | Registered: 02 August 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I forgot I had a set of Lee dies sitting at the computer here.

From the instruction pamphlet:

FULL LENGTH SIZER
Screw the full length sizer in until it touches the shelll holder. Then lower the ram and screw the die in 1/4 to 1/3 turn more. Raise the ram and tighten the lock ring finger tight.

FWIW they say the Factory Crimp Die takes only a half turn past touching.

I cannot believe they publish this rubbish.

-Spencer

one of us
Picture of JBabcock
posted Hide Post
quote:
For the same price I would have bought the Lee Classic cast press.

I would have too. Great press.

quote:
FULL LENGTH SIZER
Screw the full length sizer in until it touches the shelll holder. Then lower the ram and screw the die in 1/4 to 1/3 turn more. Raise the ram and tighten the lock ring finger tight..

Mine say the same, but I only do that to FULL LENGTH RESIZE. For once fired cases, I just neck size for that particular rifle. Back off the die so that it's just sizing the neck and not moving the shoulder.

I love the Lee Factory Crimp dies. My dies are RCBS, but I use the Lee Crimp dies for all of my rifles.