Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22-250 loads for vaporizing crows
 Login/Join

posted
I am waiting as patiently as I know how for my Encore barrel. I sent for a 26" heavy barrel chambered for the .22-250. I have never owned a rifle in this caliber, and I have never tried to load for it either. I have brass and dies on the way also, so tonight I ran out and grabbed a pound of H-380 and some 50 grain Sierra BlitzKings. (I just keep reaching for those green boxes!) I have several load manuals, but I was kind of wondering if anyone would like to share a pet recipie for turning Hekyll and Jekyll into mist.
Thanks

<bearlake>
posted
Sierra 60gr HP over H380.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Seems as though you are going at it backwards. First you get the receipe, then you purchase the ingredients. Not the other way around. I think Hodgdons Varget would have been a better choice than the H-380, which in my opinion is a little slow burning for the 22-250. Also the Blitz bullets may tend to explode in mid air from air friction drag, at the top speeds of the 22-250.

The best load I've ever found for the 22-250 is produced from 37 grs. Norma 202, a standard primer (Fed. 210), and a Sierra #1330 Varminter 50 gr. bullet. Velocity is 3810 FPS. This load seems to work well in any rifle I have ever used it in.

Your H-380 will probably be OK for now. Velocity with that powder will probably max out at 3650 to 3700 FPS. Still very potent. I think you will be better served with the #1330 bullet though because it will withstand higher velocitys, and still is very explosive on contact.

Another thing is twist. Most 22-250's have 1 in 14 twist in the barrels. The very max. weight bullet with this twist is 55 grs.. Anything above that will not stabilize properly. The best bullets for the 1 in 14 twist are the 50 grainers for varmints. The 52 and 53 grain Match Kings shoot well too, but do not produce the terminal damage that the Varmint bullets do.

Good luck and have fun!!

DLM [Razz]

Posts: 26 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
38 gr Varget 40 gr ballistic tip....4000+ fps.... you will vaporize crows! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3863 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I haven't had a chance to vaporize anything with this load yet, but 42gr. of Varget under a 30gr. Berger MEF will get you 4670 out of a 26 inch barrel.

Posts: 388 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 05 May 2002Reply With Quote
<green 788>
posted
Varget is a good powder, to be sure...

But the quintessential 22-250 powder must be said to be H380. H380 is so named because Mr. Hodgdon put 38.0 grains of this ball type powder behind a 50 grain bullet in a 22-250, and fired a one hole group with it. So he named the powder H380.

Noser actually lists 37 grains as their most accurate load with their 50's, but you can work toward their max of 41 grains if you want more velocity. By the way, 41 grains is Hodgdon's max load as well, so I'd respect that number.

The H380 will serve you very well indeed...

Dan

<Big Stick>
posted
Re-15 fueling 40gr V-Max's will be on the other side of 4000fps and Crows can't withstand that sorta abuse to their anatomy(in case you was wonderin').

The 223Ackley with 40's at 4000fps is my go to "Crow Knocker". The 22-250 is a little more of a good thing...........................

posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,
I picked up the H-380 for a couple reasons.

First, I checked my Nosler number 5 manual before leaving the house and for the 50 grain Ballistic Tip, they listed H380 as the most accurate powder they tested. I have used their "most accurate powder/most accurate charge weight" a couple times when I was starting out fresh n a given cartridge and have been pleased, so I thought I would go with them again.

Second, I use it to load for my 7mm/08 sometimes, so if it didn't do well in the .22-250, I could still make use of it for the more noble and glorious purpose of feeding my favorite rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Dan said it about as close to perfect as it could be said! H380 is the way to go!

Posts: 426 | Location: Alpine, WY | Registered: 01 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
7/08 - I think you will achieve your goal of vaporizing crows with the components you have. My personal choice would have been to use a 55 gr bullet as a little more stable overall...and still capable of turning a crow inside out. Probably a Hornady SX.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
another vote for H380. this shoots a 55 grain vmax to a group of .651 out of my standard 22 inch barrel ruger mk2. it also meters good because it is ball powder

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The best in my Ruger M77 Heavy Varmint is a healthy dose of H4895 under a 55gr. Hornady V-Max. Nothing but red mist! [Big Grin]

Posts: 487 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 07 December 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I shoot 35.5 gns of H380 under a 55gn GameKing HPBT. I have never shot crows with it but I know that it will lay waist to 'chucks.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My Tikka likes 35.5 gr of H4895 and 50 gr V-max. I haven't shot any crows, but I'm sure it would work. My last 5 shot group measured .47 in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Couple of friends of mine tested 3 top end loads out of their AR's comparing the 40's, 50's, and 55's for windrift in about a 20 m.p.h. x-wind on the same day at 300 yds. I can't remember exactly what the figures were, but what I do remember was that there was a significant difference between the different bullet weights as regards wind effect at that range. As I remember the difference was pretty close to being linear. It was very enlightening, and might be something to consider--how about the 55 Blitzking?? I believe it's got the highest B.C. for any plastic tip out there (including the 60 V-Max).

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote