New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Pure lead bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Pure lead is hard to cast, very limited in velocity, and takes a good lube. Even one percent tin improves castability. Look around for some scrap wheel weights or linotype. Two or three parts lead to one of lino would give you pretty good bullets.

That mould is a bit light, too. I used a 130 grain mould when I was casting for the .30 Carbine.

Can't help with the Li'l Gun. That's not a powder I use.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Leftover is right, pure lead is difficult to cast, especially in small caliber bullets. At 1200fps you'll kead your bore in short order no matter what kind of lube you use. Add 30# of clean wheel weights & you'll find your bullets will cast better & lead less.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks very much for the info.
Your both dead right I managed to find and read an article about cast bullet alloy.
It mentioned that a good alloy for this lower velocity was 16-to1 lead/tin.
As I've got a couple of reels of lead free soider in the loft that's been there for ages, I was thinking that I could use that.
Its 99% tin.

What do you think of that lead/tin mixture?

Posts: 18 | Location: Perth | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I used to have access to cheap 50/50 bar solder & it worked fine. Add that 1# of 99% bar solder to your lead & flux & away you go.

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup, even 20-1 or 25-1 should do fine, so if you have a partial pound reel just drop it in. Fifteen pounds of alloy into 90 grain bullets should keep you shooting until you can locate more alloy.

Scrounging becomes a way of life for casters.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hutzpah

Regarding your question;

Quote:

What do you think of that lead/tin mixture?

I believe the following Glen Fryxell`s article contains good info about using lead/tin alloys for 1300/1400 fps bullets, just in the first page.

www.lasc.us/FryxellCommentsCBAlloys.htm

Hope this helps

BA Shooter

Posts: 126 | Location: Buenos Aires, Argentine | Registered: 21 August 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your comments.
BAShooter I read the all that artical it was very informative.
Today I thought I've got to make a start, so I cast 200 bullets, sized and lubed, all went well.
I am looking forward to reloading then and of course, to shooting them.

Posts: 18 | Location: Perth | Registered: 12 June 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
SAVE your PURE LEAD for Ml bullets & balls. Use wheelweight alloy for bullets for your cartridge arms. You can shoot it as-is for low-medium velocity target and plinking ammo, and heat-treat it to any temper you need for faster bullets.

Today, I'm having more trouble finding pure lead than other alloys. Used to be you could go to any pluming supply or big hardware store and buy pure lead. No longer!!