New
Find
Notify
Tools

Best Powder for 9mm , 40 S&W & 45acp
 Login/Join

<BigAl>
posted
I load 9mm 124gr. fmj and 40 S&W 180gr.and use AA#7 for full power loads with good results . If there is a better powder for these two cal for full power loads please advise ?

I am about to start loading 45acp in 230gr. fmj. What is the best powder for full power loads ?

Thanks, Alan

<hotdog>
posted
Best powder for the .45 ACP load is Bullseye 4.9grs. Be careful it is a near Mag. load. luck hotdog.

<stans>
posted
I have loaded some 9mm and a lot of 45. In 9mm I have tried Bullseye, Unique and AA-#5. I preferred the AA-#5 since it gave top velocities, good accuracy, and metered uniformly in my RCBS Uniflow on a progressive press.

I 45 ACP I have tried Bullseye, W-231, WSL, AA-#5, and Unique. WSL was great, but is no longer in production. I had good accuracy with Bullseye, but the smoke and residue were a bit much for IPSC competition.

<TomJ>
posted
Better? Don't know about that, but I always liked Unique for full-power loads in 9mm.
Bullseye is too fast for full power (+P) loads in any of those cartridges.

[This message has been edited by TomJ (edited 11-17-2001).]

<gone hunting>
posted
i use HS6 for 9mm, 38sp, 10sp[40S&W]and 45acp. use HS7 for mid-range 357mag and 10mm. and 296 for 357mag full house and real 10mm.

------------------
born on a mountain, raised in a cave, hunting and fishing is all i crave!

<Bill>
posted
Since I use a Dillon 650 I stick to ball powder for a consistent drop. My favorite is Winchester 231 for all pistol calibers I load for.

------------------
www.rifleshooter.com

<Powderman>
posted
9mm I have not loaded for. For .40 SW, I have used AA #7, Blue Dot, Herco, and Power Pistol. I have obtained the best accuracy with Herco and Blue Dot in that caliber.

For .45, I have used two powders extensively: Clays and Power Pistol. Both meter well in my 650. To duplicate ball ammo pressures and velocity, I load 230 grain FMJ or plated with 6.8 of Power Pistol and a standard Federal primer.

------------------
Happiness is a 200 yard bughole.