THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: piicture of a partition that lost both cores

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: piicture of a partition that lost both cores
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Mark,
I wasn't being defensive at all, just stating a different experience and view based on my experience with Noslers, I even stated clearly that you showed me... You got a problem with that, then maybe you rode to many bulls, jump off too many bridges and got hooked up with the wrong redheads!

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
...some might say that I've ridden too many a red headed woman and dated too many bulls...

can anyone tell me how to zoom in on the pic?

Posts: 192 | Location: USA | Registered: 29 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had a psot describing th emiddle bullet hsown here, but I deleted it. I don't want to hear all of the dialog back and forth. No matter what I post, I am quite sure 30% would hate it, 30% would love it, and 40% could not care less. I am in the 40% on the whole "bullet failure" posts. Any way, here is a partition from a moose I shot last month in IFnland (Scandanavian moose are very small). He was running right to left at 125 meters. QUartering to me. Hit point of left shoulder, centering the socket of the joint, and the jacket was inside the chest cavity between the 6th and 7th ribs. It did not enter the rib meat.

Do get pissed at me one way or the other. I am just posting a picture of soemthing not many folks have ever seen.

Partition pics

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't want to doubt your knowledge, but partitions have an open bottom, that is exposed lead. Only the 7x57 160gr bullet you've posted has an open bottom where you COULD see the lead if it were there. I don't know what the others are.

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Marc,
had never seen a partitian that blew both ends.

thanks
jeffe

Posts: 38613 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Interesting, I've never recovered the first Partition from anything. Never doubted they could spill their guts if they got backwards but my experience hints they seldom do that.

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes, only the middle one lost both cores. Yes, you can see leaf at both tends of a partition. I had a fairly long post written describing the three bullets and the shots and animals, but the I figured folks would get too excited about things. I deleted the post and submitted this abbreviated one. THese are the 3 Partitions I have recovered during my hsort hunting career.

7x57 lost both cores. All lead was shed pretty quickly, and it did not penetrate very far or with much damage.

.270 acted as expected, but had maybe 12" of penetration through th echest of a 45# whittail with no bones other than ribs hit.

'06 plowed through a lof of stuff and scted exactly as I would have expected

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
What twist is your 7X57? I wonder if twist had anything to do with that obviously strange behavior?? Needless to say, that is NOT typical performance from the Partition bullet!!

one of us
posted Hide Post
If a partition was deflected by brush and hit sideways I'm sure it could loose both cores, speculation but seems plausible. Most of the bullets in your photo are not partitions.

Posts: 1494 | Location: NC | Registered: 10 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am sure any bullet can fail, they are made by man, components can be faulty and bad batches happen...Any bullet maker will tell you that...

The fact is I have used Nosler partitions for 60 years on duiker to Cape Buffalo, I have a cigar box full of recovered Noslers and I have posted many on this very board over the years..I have never had one fail...I do know that some have, and yours makes three that I know off for sure..Not a bad record IMO..In fact I know of no other bullet except Northfork, that I can say that about as I have seen them all fail at one time or another..

So whatcha gonna use now that's better?

Posts: 41986 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
9" twist

hit no brush

WHat the hell do you mean that most are not partitions? I'm crazy, don't get me wrong. I used to ride bulls, I bungee jump off of bridges, I have swam with sharks, I climb mountians, and I have dated A LOT of red headed women. But that does not mean I am stupid. I think I know what a partition is. Not really sure what you are getting at. ANd there are only three bullets, as listed. Just three different views of each bullet

one of us
posted Hide Post
Ray:

THere is no need to be so defensive about this. You just said "show me" a partition failure in another post, so I posted these pictures. THis is the exact reason why I deleted the original post htat had more writing and opinions.

TSX's and A-frames for big stuff, to answer your question.

As I said in th efirst post, this was just a picture for information, nothing more, nothing less. Not many folks have seen a partition that came apart, so I posted one.

one of us
posted Hide Post
All of my partitions........regardless of caliber have exposed lead on the bottom side. Either the pictures are misleading because of quality or these are not all partitions. I am assuming these came from 'dead animals'. .................a 45# deer ? That thing could have hid behind a shoe box.

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
zoom in on the bullets and you eill see the outer two have lead exposed on their bases, as do all partitions. Maybe th elight makes it different on your montior. Monitors are rarely calibrated as a photo junkie would have it. Plus my home studio is not set up, so I was taking pics with just a tripod and the bullets on my table. Plus as you say, they were dug out of the inside of dead animals, up to 12 years ago. WHen this happenes, they never look like they do in a magazine advertisement.

If you look at the outer two, you can see the center copper partition where the front core peeled back to the partition-just as they should do. The rear cores are still in place, as expected.

Yes, a 45# deer is very small. A Southern whitetail yearling.

The rifle this bullet was fired from is a veteran of 4 continents (N. America, Europe, Asia, Oceana) and has accounted for game from fox to moose, from 50' above sea level to 10,000+' above sea level, from over 100 degrees F to - 55 degrees F. It has been around. THe barrel and twist have nothing to do with it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
7x57 lost both cores. All lead was shed pretty quickly, and it did not penetrate very far or with much damage.

Not much damage? I'll bet that animal was pissed when you were digging the bullet out.

Posts: 105 | Location: Gulfport MS | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote