New
Find
Notify
Tools

preparing new brass for loading
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I was just wondering how some of you guys prepare new brass for reloading. Do you run it full length. or just the neck in the expander ball..? i have done it both ways..

Posts: 1137 | Location: SouthCarolina | Registered: 07 July 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just neck size new brass.

Posts: 54 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 14 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I prefer to neck size everything. With new brass the first thing for me is to trim all cases to same length then neck size.

one of us
Picture of Andre Mertens
posted Hide Post
For all rifle cases, I prefer to FL size the 1st time to get everything straight and round. Then I uniform primer pockets and debur flash holes. Finally case trimming + mouth chamfering and that's it for hunting rounds which will from then on be partially sized.

For precision loads, I add neck turning and will neck size after the 1st fireforming.

André
DRSS
---------

3 shots do not make a group, they show a point of aim or impact.
5 shots are a group.

Posts: 2420 | Location: Belgium | Registered: 25 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
With the exception of 1 cartridge out of 25 or 30 I load for, I don't do anything to new brass other than chamfer the mouths if needed or run an expander ball into the case if it's grossly out of round.

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It gets the full treatment as if it had been fired ten times. I like to know my brass is the best I can make it. Then I have no excuses when I shoot a ten-inch group from 100 yards...

Posts: 16534 | Location: Between my computer and the head... | Registered: 03 March 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
On new brass, I always FL resize and of course, check the length and trim if necessary. After the first firing, I PFLR and continue doing that until I have bolt closing problems. I then FL size again.
Bear in Fairbanks

Unless you're the lead dog, the scenery never changes.

I never thought that I'd live to see a President worse than Jimmy Carter. Well, I have.

Gun control means using two hands.

Posts: 1544 | Location: Fairbanks, Ak., USA | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Von Gruff
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by homebrewer:
It gets the full treatment as if it had been fired ten times. I like to know my brass is the best I can make it. Then I have no excuses when I shoot a ten-inch group from 100 yards...

I do the same HB, and so far the 10 in groups have been kept at bay.

Von Gruff.

Von Gruff.

http://www.vongruffknives.com/

Gen 12: 1-3

Exodus 20:1-17

Acts 4:10-12

Posts: 2693 | Location: South Otago New Zealand. | Registered: 08 February 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I like to run mine into a Lee Collet die. This rounds the neck and makes it the right ID, but doesn't push on the body or shoulder.

If I don't have a Collet die in that caliber, then I do what most would class as Partial Full Length resizing. Although factory brass should be close to minimum dimension, care should be taken NOT to set the shoulder back any further (as some FL dies might do if screwed all the way down against the shellholder). Only run the brass in far enough to assure that it is being supported by the die walls in order to keep the neck straight with the body of the case.

Of course, either way, I chamfer the inside of the neck with a Lyman VLD 22 degree tool to allow easy, scratch-free bullet seating.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bump the expander ball thru the neck to make sure it's round and then chamfer the neck and load it up and shoot it. After the first firing, I trim to a uniform length and do any other brass prep work needed. I have never, ever, ever found a piece of new brass that wouldn't fit in a factory chamber so why F/L resize it? You're just adding a layer of lube that has to be gotten off.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I run the expander ball through the one's that are dented and then use a primer cutting tool on the primer pockets.
Doubt the primer cutting tool is needed but it makes me feel better. I use the same tool to clean the pockets in between loadings.

My biggest fear is when I die my wife will sell my guns for what I told her they cost.

Posts: 6644 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 22 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
+1 to Wasbeeman. Except....I found some 308 brass with graffs headstamp wouldn't chamber. It was made by Privi Partisan for graffs and was really thick thick brass. Other than that I love lyman M dies or Hornady eliptical expanders into the case mouth. AFter the first firing better prep happens.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Grumulkin
posted Hide Post
For those who resize & trim new brass; what do you do with new cartridges? Do you resize them as well?

Posts: 2911 | Location: Ohio, U.S.A. | Registered: 31 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
For those who resize & trim new brass; what do you do with new cartridges? Do you resize them as well?

I depend on the manufacturer's QC dept. BUT once in all the many years I bought factory ammunition I got one round that wouldn't chamber. I measured the offending cartridge against a round that would chamber and it was too long and too fat! Sent the offending round back and they sent me a cheque sufficient to buy two new boxes (20 each)of cartridges!

Posts: 167 | Location: Kamloops British Columbia Canada | Registered: 19 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I run the expander ball through, if the neck is out of round, chamfer and deburr, uniform the flash hole....load and shoot.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As a sidebar: R D McMillan brings up a good point. That is why I run every round of hunting ammo thru my rifle before I leave for a trip.

I was in on one deal where a buddy spent the summer working up a super load for his 30-338 and when we got waaaaaay back in the boonies, he discovered he hadn't taken his magazine length into consideration. We had to put a small slat of wood on each bullet and tapped it down with the back of a hatchet. Smiler Needless to say, he was the main topic of our humour whilst we were in camp.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
I round out the necks if necessary and shoot. I don't trim, chamfer and neck size until they have been fired once.

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3830 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I, as in all things, tend to overdo.
For Rifles I:
FL size
Trim to uniform length
Deburr and Chamfer case mouths
Uniform Primer pockets
Deburr Flash holes
Tumble
Brush inside of case and clean Primer Pocket & Flash hole (to get out the tumbling media)
Weigh into .5 Gr lotts (for 30Cal +) or .2 Gr Lotts (for .223)
I no longer uniform neck thickness

For Pistols I do not uniform flash holes… otherwise the same