New
Find
Notify
Tools

redding comp dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
hi i am looking at buying a set of redding comp dies (seater and neck sizer)and what i was wondering is it worth it as i have a sako heavy barrel 22-250 with standard neck,will i see an improvement in accuracy?
thanks for your help

Posts: 50 | Location: england | Registered: 06 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bunnybasher:
hi i am looking at buying a set of redding comp dies (seater and neck sizer)and what i was wondering is it worth it as i have a sako heavy barrel 22-250 with standard neck,will i see an improvement in accuracy?
thanks for your help

.....This is one of those "it depends" questions???? The bushing version lets you avoid overworking the brass and it will last longer and let you cull bad brass from paper results....it you have standard dies that are straight and a good match for your brass/chamber then they will load equally good rounds...BUT with the bushing die you have options if the match isn't good....and the seating die is nice with the micrometer head adjustment and the sliding sleeve gives the bullet a guided entry to the case and if the case is good and straight then the seating will be kept! straight and the rounds WILL shoot better ...how much better? depends on how straight your factory chamber and bolt/barrel is aligned as to which will be the limiting factor in accuracy..the load concentricity or the action and or the barrel.....I have a factory chambered gun that does well with the Redding bushing die and your gun is a upper quality range noted for good factory work..imo....if you can stand the extra expense and spend time with good brass in prep the dies will take advantage of this to let the gun shoot it's best........HTH..good luck and good shooting-loading!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Reloader66>
posted
If your a benchrest shooter then buy em, but if your an accuracy minded particular reloader buy the Lee Collet die sets. The Lee collet dies are very well designed, reasonably priced and will allow you to produce very accurate handloads for far less money. The only advantage you will see with those expensive bushing dies is when shooting from a benchrest rifle.

posted Hide Post
In a sporter rifle neck sizing does not always give the most accuracy. As you use the cases they will streach but not at the same rate and the ones that chamber tight won't shoot the same poi as as the one that camber easy. Been there done that.