Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

223 loads with aa2230 unburned powder
 Login/Join

posted
I'm working up a load for a 223 using 27 grains of aa2230 and 40 grain v-max bullets with federal small rifle primers. I'm getting 1/2" groups at 100 yars which I'm happy about. I am noticing a lot of unburned powder in my barrel. I know the powder is designed for heavier bullets. Do you think switching to a magnum primer would help with the unburned powder issues? I was given 5 pounds of aa2230 powder and hope to use it up.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
mag primer isn't going to do anything. to slow for a 40 gr bullet

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Wendell Reich
posted Hide Post
I'd switch to a heavier bullet. That is a good powder in the 223.

Posts: 6265 | Location: Dallas, TX | Registered: 13 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
mag primer isn't going to do anything. to slow for a 40 gr bullet

tu2

If I had 5# of powder that gave me 1/2" groups and my only issue was some unburned powder. I would probably live with the unburned powder. Big Grin

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of richj
posted Hide Post
RL7 and H322 may work better with the 40's.

Posts: 6492 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you have other powder to use, try a different combination. Unburned flakes is usually caused by low pressure. Had similar problem with my Marlin .357 Magnum with micro grooving.

one of us
posted Hide Post
[/QUOTE]
tu2

If I had 5# of powder that gave me 1/2" groups and my only issue was some unburned powder. I would probably live with the unburned powder. Big Grin[/QUOTE]

+1

I would live with the unburnt powder also for .5 groups.

Posts: 19621 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
thanks i will just shoot them up maybe shoot them over a chrony and see if i'm even in the ball park.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I too have found AA 2230 to provide excellent accuracy in my .223 Remington. I use 50 grain Speer TNT bullets, Remington brass, and 26 grains of AA 2230. Sparked with CCI 450 primers, I have never had unburned kernels of powder in my gun.

The gun, out of Winchester's Custom Shop, has produced groups with this load that have provided me with bragging rights. H-335 works just as well.

Both powders are spectacular in the .458 Winchester with conventional 500 grain slugs as well.

Posts: 152 | Location: Alberta, Canada | Registered: 29 July 2007Reply With Quote