New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ranier plated bullets
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
When using these bullets , even though they are plated , do you use data for lead bullets? If pressure signs are not evident can you increase the load beyond max? Are'nt these loads ( in my case here , 38 specials) based more on velocity than pressure , so as to reduce leading in the barrel?

Posts: 129 | Location: colorado | Registered: 27 February 2002Reply With Quote
<stans>
posted
The plating on these bullets is extremely thin, usually lead bullet loading data is the most appropriate.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
jim -

Be careful on exceeding max listed loads for lead bullets when loading the plated ones. Pressure signs in revolvers are just about impossible for the reloader to detect, so, the best thing to do is stay with pressure tested data from the powder or bullet manufacturers, or your own sources. Standard 38 Sp'l MAX pressure is 17,000 PSI, and 18,500 PSI for +P's, I believe. Whether you can go to the +P loads listed for your 38 are up to you and/or your revolver.

Generally, lead bullet loads are heavier than jacketed bullets of the same weight, due to the natural lubricity of the lead material. Or, another way to say it, a lead bullet will achieve a higher velocity with the same powder charge than will a jacketed bullet of the same weight.

I've used the Raniers a lot, and, they generally shoot best at a little below the listed max, anyway, so, I don't know if I'd push it.

Depending on the alloy, cast bullets can be pushed pretty darn fast before major leading occurs. If it's a real soft alloy, you can lead things up at 700 FPS; conversely, some of the heat treated, hard cast bullets can go over 1,400 FPS without major leading problems. I've yet to see a cast bullet that doesn't lead the barrel to some degree, in any event. By the way, Hoppe's Benchrest (not standard #9) bore cleaner does a real good job at cleaning the lead out.

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
<kidcoltoutlaw>
posted
i load them all the time in the 357 sig and push them fast,thanks,keith

<Dan in Wa>
posted
Some indoor ranges require lead free bullets and I guess even lead free primers now. So I think thats where plated bullets come from. I would rather brush a little lead out of my pistol barrels than get the copper out. Properly sized cast bullets lead very little even when cast from medium hard lead(wheel weights).
Just think in the old days indoor ranges had little if any ventilation and we didn't die, now they have good vent. and we have to use leadless ammo and shooting is extremly dangerous. Go figure.