New
Find
Notify
Tools

Remington Corelock Ultra Bonded Bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Are these available for handloaders? Sure shoot well from my Ruger!

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
They did not look so hot in a comparitive test but a big and fast enough one would rip a hole.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Westy,

I don't know from pictures, but I shot the factory loaded 140 gr. Ultras in my 7mm Mag last fall, they shot very well in my rifle, and resulted in two large northern whitetail bucks that both hit the dirt so fast I didn't know where they went! Talk about bang/flops!

Posts: 273 | Location: Dakota | Registered: 28 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
They did not look so hot in a comparitive test but a big and fast enough one would rip a hole.

Now if we could read ????????? (what language) we would know more about these tests. Like what expansion medium, what velocities and what percent of recovered weight????

I doubt big green will make them available to handloaders. They've been in and out of the projectile components business as long as I can remember,(40+years).

With the interbond, accu-bond, scirocco, bitter root, bearclaw and other bonded premium bullets, I don'r see a need for them.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Grizz: The problem is I shoot under 1/2" moa with the Remington factory loads, 2" with Winchester Accubonds, 1 1/2" with Federal Noslers, and 2" with Federal TBBC.
I'd like to duplicate this performance in handloads and if I could get my hands on Remington's bullets it might be a good start!

Posts: 392 | Location: Western Massachusetts | Registered: 05 March 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Westernmassman:
Are these available for handloaders? Sure shoot well from my Ruger!
To give you a bit of history, many, many years ago Remington offered the PLHP(Plated Hollow Point) bullets in 22cal and then quit. Then after a few years, they once again begain making them available for reloading in:
50gr and 55gr 0.224" and an 80gr 0.243"

All shoot extremely well and perform on the Varmints I've shot them with as good as any bullet made. A retired Winchester Rep I know in South Carolina uses the 80gr PLHP in his 6mmRem M70 each Fall for Mule Deer. Hard to argue with his results of a very l-o-n-g string of 1-shot kills, but I still say they are too light for the task.

Someone on here mentioned another bullet they made with the same process, but I'd not used it and CAN NOT remember what it was. Maybe their 17cal, but that could be full-of-beans.

But, those are the only 3 Plated bullets I'm aware of Rem currently provides as components.

Speer "Gold Dot" pistol/revolver bullets also have the Jacket Plated on.
---

Do not read this as "me" taking credit for the larger caliber Plated Rems coming out, because that is not true. But it is an interesting thing that happened back in 2000 at the NRA Convention.

I ran into the Remington Manager of Bullet Production and was talking to him. Just as I was bragging on the accuracy of the 50gr PLHP one of the Wheels strolled up and seemed to be real interested. So, I asked the Manager if he had ever shot any of them? He said he had and was also impressed with their accuracy and on-game performance.

Then I asked, "Then why in the world don't you all make them in LARGER calibers?!?!?" The Manager turned red and began squirming around. You could tell he was about to bust to say something. He said something to the effect, "We will have to look into that." But the "Wheel" couldn't stand it at all and blurted out, "Don't be surprised if a few begin turning up fairly quickly!"

A look back at the Manager showed him regaining his composure.

So, they were already working on getting them Designed and Tested back then.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I always wondered how the remington core lokt bullets performed in the accuracy dept. I ass-u-me if you bought a large enough lot (500 to 1000) you could sort em by actual weight and have pretty good results.

Posts: 168 | Location: Thomaston GA, USA | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of 323
posted Hide Post
I have a buddy who has some 30cal and 7mm. He said he has 180's in the 30's and 140's in the 7mm. He goes by M1Tanker here shoot him a e-mail he might be able to help you out.

Handmade paracord rifle slings: paracordcraftsbypatricia@gmail.com

Posts: 2501 | Location: Wasilla, Alaska | Registered: 31 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's the ULTRA core loct were're talking about here. I would be interested to see what they cost IF they're available.

if you run, you just die tired

It's not that life is so short, it's that death is sooo long!

Speak kindly to me, beloved master. Revel in my unconditional love, and give me every minute that you can spare, for my time with you is short.

Your faithful dog

Posts: 596 | Location: Oshkosh, Wi USA | Registered: 28 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by grizz:

Now if we could read ????????? (what language) we would know more about these tests. Like what expansion medium, what velocities and what percent of recovered weight????

Norwegian. The picture included in the above post was probably the conclusion of a magazine provided test. I'm guessing the information you are after was in the article.
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I thought the PLHP stood for Power Lokt Hollow Point, like CLHP stands for Core Lokt Hollow Point? At least, that is what the catalog said when I ordered them from Midway last time - the 55-gr PLHP shoots very well from both of my .223s.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I also like the PLHPs - good accuracy for a low priced, bulk packed bullet. I shoot the 55 grs in my Blaser R93 in .223, and 50 grs in my Sako in .222 Rem. Not BR stuff, but for the price, not bad at all...

I must admit to believing PLHP stood for PLated Hollow Point as well, but who is to know??
- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
From the Remington ammo website -

"And our Power-Lokt® design is the first and only perfectly concentric, electrolytically plated varmint bullet. "

So there you go, it is a plated bullet called the Power-Lokt.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mho:
quote:
Originally posted by grizz:

Norwegian. The picture included in the above post was probably the conclusion of a magazine provided test. I'm guessing the information you are after was in the article.
- mike

Here is the link where I got that picture. http://www.jegeren.net/tester_kuler.htm

The bullets may have been tested in water. Perhaps a Norwegian member can search it out. In any case water is a consistant comparative medium for comparing bullet expansion.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote