New
Find
Notify
Tools

22/250 sub-sonic ????
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
i want too shoot my 250 very quietly is it posible to make an effective load say out to 150 yards... if any one has any idea can you recommend some loads!!!

Posts: 70 | Location: melbourne | Registered: 28 December 2001Reply With Quote
<kromer>
posted
change guns!!
the 22-250 is a 4000 + fps rifle
you want low noise and a 22 cal then get a 10/22

the right gun for the job!! yours is not

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
I agree, that's kinda like trying to teach a pig to sing.

Subsonic and 150 yards do not go well together, either. For example, a standard 55 gr. bullet at 900 fps will drop 22" at 100, 32" at 120, and 51" at 150...... Better bring your range finder! HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I played around with a subsonic load in my 218 mashburn bee contender. The accuracy was poor, but I did a penetration test, and was astounded how deeply a 60 gr hp would penetrate, as I recall it went through three 2X4's, one 4X4, and then turned inside out and left a decent crater in the concrete.

A 22 rimfire will likely work much better.

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of packrattusnongratus
posted Hide Post
Do you have a .223 and some Red Dot? Use a 45 gr bullet and standard primer. Will have to look for the recipe. No loud noise but certainly not a 150 yd round. Hornet in a rifle is good. I know that was not the precise question. But if you have a Hornet you can get some low noise loads from several sites on the Net. Pak [Smile]

one of us
posted Hide Post
[QUOTE]Originally posted by ange:
[
looks you are ready for a 22 hornet.

Posts: 46 | Location: Friendship,Wis. USA | Registered: 18 November 2001Reply With Quote