New
Find
Notify
Tools

STARTING TO RELOAD
 Login/Join

<Swift Shot>
posted
I am going to start reloading know. I have finally decided on the last to rifle purchases for awhile and will be reloading the following calibers. I do not shoot all the time but I do go every other week.

22 hornet savage
243 win teka
300 win mag teka
45-70 goverment creedmore #2 target rifle
I will be getting the lee aniversary kit because I am on one hell of a small budget and will not be reloading over 50 rounds per week.

I am looking at the dies for these things what types of dies are needed to reload there are decapping, resizing ect what dies do I need to reload.
I havent bought the tekas yet but will next week. Great deal I think the cal will cover about everything.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
swiftshot: You will here this echoed all through these pages, get a manuel on reloading first.
start there, the lee, lyman and several others have all the info to help get you started.
The manuel is the first thing to buy.
pick one caliber and start reloading. check out this link, lots of good sound info look under My Pages..
Dave
http://stevespages.com

[ 07-12-2002, 05:55: Message edited by: HIVELOSITY ]

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
Before you load a round or worry about dies and other tooling I`d recommend getting a good manual. The Lyman and Hornady are two that I find very informative. Read the text, don`t worry about the data until you understand what, how, and why your doing what your doing.
Welcome to a great hobby.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a good manual, read it, than read it again. Now buy another manual and read it also. Multiple manuals will come in handy later on also, when you start compairing data.
The Lee die sets come with the approate dies, crimp die and shellholder for each caliber, RCBS dies sets come with the required dies, but the shell holder is a extra piece. You can crimp (if required) with the RCBS die, and if you don't crimp the extra die in the Lee set is nothing but a paperweight.
Theres pros and cons with each, IE: the 243, 7-08, 270, 30-06, 8mm Mauser etc. all use the same shell holder with RCBS you only have 1, with LEE you have a dozen of the same one. In your case, you'll need 4 different ones however.

Posts: 2124 | Location: Whittemore, MI, USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Lyman probably produces the most informative manuals in my opinion.

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tailgunner:
the 243, 7-08, 270, 30-06, 8mm Mauser etc. all use the same shell holder with RCBS you only have 1, with LEE you have a dozen of the same one. In your case, you'll need 4 different ones however.

Actually, if you buy the Lee RGB die set, you get the same dies but you don't get the shell holder and powder dipper, so that way you don't accumulate extra shell holders if you don't need them. And the RGB die sets can be gotten for under $10 from Midway.

[ 07-13-2002, 03:30: Message edited by: LE270 ]

Posts: 5883 | Location: People's Republic of Maryland | Registered: 11 March 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
it's a great hobby. I read, at least, 6 different sources before my dad let me throw my first charge, about 25 years ago.

start with the 223, learn it, play with powders, bullets, seating, oal, primers, and crimp. then take those lessons on.

be careful
jeffe

Posts: 39719 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of claybuster
posted Hide Post
When you get done reading up on things,,,Which you really should do as perscribed,,Try to spend the extra few bucks on your dies,forster or redding,vs. the lee or rcbs dies,at least for the bottle-neck rounds,straightwall pistol rounds are a bit more forgiving with cheaper dies.Also do your seating and crimping in two stages,for pistol or rifle.Good luck!!!! [Big Grin]

Posts: 2119 | Location: woodbine,md,U.S.A | Registered: 14 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get the Lee Anniversary kit with the Lee manual. I am very slow (stupid) about things of a mechanical or technical nature. I read the Lee manual and the quick reference guide that came with my Anniversary kit. I was loading on my on in short order. I used forums like this for any questions I had. I have been a happy successful reloader for 5 years now.

The Lee dies are easy to use and come with a comprehensive load data card.

Paul Barnard

Posts: 105 | Location: Gulfport MS | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Get a good reloading manual first. Read it ........then read it again. This will provide all the basic information and give you the recomended tools and set ups. Before long you will be on your way to a lifelong hobby.
 -
Regards
Rick

Posts: 236 | Location: Adirondack Mountains of NY | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote