Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 270win 140gr Nosler Accubond
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
Ranger66, you have choosen a wonderful bullet which will do superior work for you, but please consider a better suited powder for that cartridge/bullet combination. I have had super accurac with velocity using IMR 4831, or R22 in the quanities mentioned above. But I would caution you that since each rifle has it's own preferences ad tolerances... work up to the heavy charges. Also your COL is going to be determined by the magizine length, not how the barrel was throated, that's unfortnate. My loads are being shot in a Ruger 1B with a 26" barrel, using Federal 210 match primers and Winchester brass. The velocities are 3030, and 3050 ft/sec's. This is a very accurate bullet at these velocities for me. Now the good part, I have had a chance to field est on game, and was awed by the performance. You have choosen wisely, now go out and kill a bi buck.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of bowhuntrrl
posted Hide Post
These velocties sound very high, no doubt most of these are using barrelslonger than the standard 22" tube. To achieve much over 2850 with a 140 grain Ballistic Tip or Accubond in a standard 22" barrel, the pressures would have to be dangerously high. I think there may be other threads on this somewhere here on the forum. At any rate, Magpro is also a good choice for the .270 Win from what I've read in other forums. My favorite load was always a 140 Ballistic tip and a good load of IMR4350. Always .5 MOA in my 700.

Posts: 931 | Location: Somewhere....... | Registered: 07 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
A few more details on the 140 Accubond, 60.0grs of RL-22 Load.
First of all it is a Max load, and is over the max listed in some manuals.

Swift #1 lists 59.5 for their 140gr A-Frame
Hornady #6 lists 59.7 for their SST and BTSP

The Data I was working from was the Alliant data that list 60.0 for a Sierra SBT with a minimum OAL of 3.28.

Normal Max cartridge overall length is 3.340 (per Hornady)

Plugging the numbers into "Quickload" suggest pressures of around 60,290psi (with a 140 Ballistic Tip) with the normal max overall length of 3.340, and then using an OAL of 3.390 it suggests pressures of 58,638 and a velocity of 3059 in the 24" barrel which is spot on and a velocity of 2909 with a 20" barrel which is a little low.

In my 24" barreled Berretta Mato, seated .005 off the lands allows for an OAL longer than normal maximum at 3.390. Average velocity is about 3050 FPS.

My 20" Sako Finnlite also allows a longer than normal OAL, and this load gives an average velocity of about 2966.

So my experience and research indicated exactly what a earlier poster has suggested, yes is is a warm load maybe too hot for some rifles and COAL might be important. But it is a recommended load from the powder manufacturer and very close to some others. I have read John Barsness were he said that RL-22 is engineered to work best at maximum pressures, and this may contribute to why this load has shot well for several shooters.
If you have to use a shorter overall length 58 or 59grs may be a more realistic maximum. And please work up slowly and be careful. Good Shooting........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Plugging the numbers into "Quickload" suggest pressures of around 60,290psi (with a 140 Ballistic Tip) with the normal max overall length of 3.340, and then using an OAL of 3.390 it suggests pressures of 58,638 and a velocity of 3059 in the 24" barrel which is spot on and a velocity of 2909 with a 20" barrel which is a little low.

As I understand it, QL does not take the distance from the bullet to the lands into account and would seemingly offer lower pressures for a longer COL, when in reality the cartridge is more than likely producing more pressures as in the extreme case of a bullet jammed into the rifling. Yes the case capacity is larger, but it takes more pressure to get the bullet moving. Just a thought.

Turok

Posts: 219 | Location: Prince George, B.C | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Turok, First of all I don't take Quickload as unquestioned fact. I use it as just one more source to check and verify data. If I put in all of the possible variables for a given load and the velocity matches what I'm getting I usually figure that the pressure they give is probably pretty close too. If it doesn't match I veiw that data with more suspicion. Quickload is a neat tool but I never accept any one source unconditionally.
If two loads of the same powder and bullet are loaded with the same COAL into otherwise identical chambers and 1 is seated into the lands and the other has a lot of freebore obviously the one with freebore will have lower pressure. However if two loads in otherwise identical chambers are seated were the bullets are both seated .005 from the lands but with different OAL's the one with the longer OAL will have lower pressure due to the slightly increased case capacity.
All of the variables in reloading are only true to a point. The Art of reloading is properly balancing the variables to acheive optimum safe perfomance..........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
So what is being said is that 3.340 is a safe COL that will give me safe pressures? If I load it out to the max of my magazine that will give me more pressure? I am kinda new to reloading but I have been loading 100gr and 130gr bullets using the speer manual for a couple years now and just wanted to try the Nosler line of bullet, if all works out well I will surely be travelling to purchase a nosler manual.

Posts: 29 | Location: Ontario, Canada | Registered: 18 October 2004Reply With Quote