New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anyone have a priming accident?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
It makes me a little more nervous now when priming after I hear about a tray of these little pills all going off together! I use the Lee hand primer with tray. I like to believe that it gives me a good enough feel that I wouldn't set one off, but who knows? Anyone actually have this happen?

[ 12-28-2002, 20:32: Message edited by: savageshooter ]

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
In over 40 years of reloading I have never had an accidental primer discharge.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not had one go off by accident either in 50 years of handloading but it can happen. I have crushed at least one by not puting them in the holder flat but on it's side. It did not go off!

If there were many primers together it might make a big explosion. I think these problems happen most from primer dust in a loading tray or primer magazine. So if it were kept clean that would help. Wear glasses also.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I had one go off when I was a kid. I was using a Lee Loader, probably had the primer in upside down.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Mort Canard
posted Hide Post
A friend of mine (Doc) was reloading his primer tube for an old shotgun loader when he dropped the aluminum tube and it his the concrete floor. He was using 209 primers. The tube landed about a food from his right leg. The primers in the tube went off and blew the tube apart. Doc said that it shredded his pants and he was picking bits of aluminum tube and primer out of his skin for a couple of days. There was no lasting damage to his leg but he was walking a little tenderly a couple of days later at the range. He said that it was a very high pitched bang like his 22-250 but not as loud.

Chuck Graber

Posts: 567 | Location: Kansas | Registered: 02 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Lar45
posted Hide Post
I've been loading since 87' and haven't had a mishap yet. Knock on wood.

Posts: 2924 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I witnessed a freak accident. My pardner Tom
just gotta Midway portable reload bench & was
delighted to be indoors working. He was filling
a primer tray ,and dropped one on the floor.
Bending to retrieve it , he slid his shoe on the carpet. As John Madden would say BAM .
Didn't bleed much , being cauterized and all.
Carpet in a reloading room ,NO THANKS>
I hate sore thumbs.

Posts: 46 | Location: Topeka, KS | Registered: 18 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
My father had one go off in a old Lee hand prime tool (single primer, small tool about 3" long)when I was a young boy. There was no damage done, but my dads out look on haveing a 12/13 yr old that thought a 4 foot flame was cool, prime his cases for him changed for a while.
Personally I haven`t had a primer go in 35+ yrs of loading.

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have not had a primer accident however I thought I would share a bit with you... When I was a boy I worked at Dillon Precision. They would load bullets on cases with inert primers... well they would soak a live primer in oil for a week or so and use them, however one guy that worked across my bench showed me that you could still set a few of them off... even after they had been soaked for a week. Though they were more of a pffft rather then a bang. I imagine the oil did a number on most and only a few were like that.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I had about 60 large pistol caps chain-detonate in a Dillon 1050. Was loading "Just one more box" before breaking it down to clean and switch to a different caliber, even though it was getting "draggy" through the handle stroke. It stumbled through a stroke, pinched a cap and off it went. Blew the fluorescent light fixture above it to ruination, wrecked some upper-column parts and bent the plastic rod follower into a pretzel. Dillon's "armored" column shroud worked as designed, so I didn't get worse than ringing ears, twitchy nerves and a fervent respect for better diligence in tool care. [Eek!]
When I called Dillon to get replacement parts, I tried to "play it down" by just ordering the parts without explanation or comment, but they caught on at the second part number; "Oho! Capped it off, did we? In that case you should get part #--- and #---." No flies on those guys.
[Frown]

Posts: 48 | Location: SE PA, USA | Registered: 28 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Bill Adams
posted Hide Post
I had a shotshell primer go off when I was kid, about 40 years ago, I was trying to put a Win. primer into a Rem. shell! I still have a tiny scar on my hand from a piece of primer. An early lesson. I did lots of dumb shit when I was young! As a matter of fact, I still do on occasion!BA

Posts: 617 | Location: NW Arkansas | Registered: 22 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Had a nearly full column of large pistol primers go in a C-H progressive some years ago ... very exciting.

Got pretty unhappy with that press when a second event occured even though I was being EVER so careful.

Have taken the press out of service/

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Been loading since '76 with no primer accidents. In my first year I did leave one out and had a hunting jacket pocket with loose Imr4350 as a result.

Posts: 323 | Location: Keithville, La. USA | Registered: 14 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks everyone for your replies. It's looking like primer accidents aren't too common after all. It's very encouraging to here about someone reloading for 15-30 years with no accidents!

Posts: 207 | Location: Sacramento, CA, USA | Registered: 15 February 2002Reply With Quote
<.>
posted
You'll note here that in EVERY INSTANCE of accidental discharge of the primer it's a result of some sort of break down in procedure.

I load on a single stage press. Just not worried about speed and looking for some precision accuracy. Call me a grouch, but I think the multi-stage presses are an accident waiting to happen. Too many operations going on at the same time.

Loading primers into a tube seems dangerous. You're stacking them without any sort of intervening space, and then the tube provides enough weight to detonate the stack if it's dropped.

I'm pretty careful about dropping stuff when reloading. Don't like bouncing dies off the concrete floor . . . but primers and that small stuff get eway from me all the time.

[ 12-30-2002, 03:02: Message edited by: Genghis ]

<kannon>
posted
Been loading pistol,shotgun and rifle for 35 yrs. without exploding a primer. Doesn't mean it can't happen someday in the future. Just be careful is the word.

one of us
Picture of Russell E. Taylor
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Genghis:
You'll note here that in EVERY INSTANCE of accidental discharge of the primer it's a result of some sort of break down in procedure.

Precisely.

I fully ignored the "firmer than normal" feeling from my XL650 while seating a primer. In a moment of incredible stupidity (note, not "ignorance"... this was "stupidity"), I applied MORE PRESSURE!

Well.

What happens when a primer goes off right in front of your eyes is that you see this INCREDIBLY-BRILLIANT BRIGHT LIGHT, ON PAR WITH ANY SURFACE-DETONATED NUCLEAR BOMB TEST!!!

Try to picture a very, very, very, VERY small version of... "the sun." Exploding. In front of your face.

Yup, basically, that was what I witnessed. That, and hearing a really LOUD "POP!"

Silly moi. I was trying to seat a primer in a case that had a primer seated. This, as we say in the Army, is "bad."

I was wearing safety goggles, thank God. I always wear them during primer operations. Fortunately for me, anyway, the vertical "beam" that is in the front of the press "split" the blast left and right, away from my face.

Regardless... it was quite a memorable experience, I assure you.

I do NOT ignore... "ignore"... little messages like "Gee, this primer is seating harder than all the others" anymore.

Always, always, ALWAYS wear eye protection when priming. Whether I'm on a progressive, a single-stage, or using a hand primer... I use eye protection -- goggles, to be specific, not just "safety glasses" that leave the tops, bottoms, and sides unprotected.

Russ

Posts: 2982 | Location: Silvis, IL | Registered: 12 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only once, with an old Lee Loader. Hammering primers in is not a good way to seat them.

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ditto to Dennis F's mishap. I was WAY impressed with the force the primer rod got from the small rifle primer when it went off.

Within a week, I bought the RCBS Rockchucker and tooling for the calibers I was loading at the time (38 Special, 45 ACP, 223, 30-06) and haven't looked back. That was in 1978, and NO PRIMING ACCIDENTS since then. In addition to the single stage press, I also have a Ponsness-Warren semi-progressive system for the handgun and small rifle rounds.

Deputy Al

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sonofagun
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smallfry:
When I was a boy I worked at Dillon Precision. They would load bullets on cases with inert primers...

Why did they do that?

Inquiring minds [Confused] want to know.

Posts: 1946 | Location: Michigun | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deputy Al, your experience sounds exactly like mine using the same tools. Mine was WLR back in 1973. It bounced the rod off the ceiling in dads basement. He told me to get that damn stuff out of the house before I blew it up. I had a Rockchucker the next week and moved out as well. Still have it matter of fact. It is just retired. Bought a new one 5 years ago. I would hate guess how many rounds have been loaded on that old Rockchucker. I know i wore out two 308 barrels and enough of 222 Remington barrel that it wouldn't shoot .5 MOA anymore. Not counting the other assorted cartrigdges I have loaded for through the years.

Shoot Safe, Shoot Straight......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Deputy Al and RiverRat

My mishap was with a large pistol magnum in a .41 mag. case, those things put out a good flame. I retired Ole Finger Scorcher for a Pacific MultiPower C press.

Dennis

Posts: 321 | Location: Tulsa, Ok. | Registered: 27 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of arkypete
posted Hide Post
I've loaded a bunch of cases without primers, I've loaded primers upside down, scrunched them in side ways, and I've never had one go off outside of the firearm's chamber.
I've emptied full priming tubes on the bench and floor, sort of brings the reloading to a halt 'til they get picked up.
Had a shooting buddy who had a primer tube on a Dillon 450 go off, he got a bit too enthusiastic pushing the primer transfer. Put the brass primer follower rod thru the ceiling.
Jim

Posts: 6173 | Location: Richmond, Virginia | Registered: 17 September 2000Reply With Quote
<Dalton>
posted
I've never had one go off. I have been using a Hornady hand primer for years now.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have no idea how many rounds the Rockchucker has loaded......in the zillions, at least.

That little faux pas with the Lee priming system left an impression with me about Lee tools that persists to this day. I do use some of their bullet molds, but their principal attraction is price.

Deputy Al

Posts: 299 | Location: Yucaipa CA | Registered: 21 December 2002Reply With Quote
<Rezdog>
posted
Reloading for over thirty years and never an accident. I did witness a guy using the old Lyman hand tool touch one off -- the first tap of the hammer set the primer half way in and then, without insuring the primer was aligned with its pocket on the priming gizzie, he whacked it again and the end of the primer was fired by the sharp edge of the priming tool. I also used to do full length sectioning of cartridges using a jewler's saw. I always gave the primer a shot of WD-40, let it sit for awhile, and then saw away. I always wear safety glasses.

one of us
Picture of R-WEST
posted Hide Post
I'm in the "over 30 years reloading with no incidents" category too, brought about mainly by witnessing firsthand the damage those little buggers can do in a situation that involved me as a 10 year old, a primer I'd filched from my uncle's stash, a hammer, and a flat rock. Sat the primer on the rock, hit it with the hammer, then tried to remove the claws of said hammer from my forehead [Eek!] But, technically, in Clinton-speak, that was not "Reloading Related" [Smile]

I always wear safety glasses, and, have always loaded them singly, using a handheld primer seater, which reduces the chances of having a bunch of them go off at once.

Did put a few in backwards over the years, though

R-WEST

Posts: 1483 | Location: Windber, PA | Registered: 24 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Sometimes when I just need to load a few round for testing I use the priming system that comes with the RCBS Rockchucker. I always go ahead and screw on the seating die in the press. That way If a accident happens everything is contained.
 -

Posts: 8346 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote
<Gunnut45/454>
posted
Well I guess I'm a junior loader-about 20yrs- I have never had a primer go off either RCBS Rockchucker-Humm could it be the type of equipment used? Seems to be common with certain type of Equipment? Then again it could be the type of primer? What type were you folks using when this happened? I've only used CCI's for 90% of the loads- Federal when I can't get CCI's.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use a Lee Loader sometimes. My mallet with rubber and soft plastic heads will set off primers reliably when using the rubber head, but I have to try to do it wrong to make them go off using the hard plastic mallet head.

I did it on purpose with earmuffs the first few times. I wanted to know what it took to set primers off so I'd know how not to do it.

H. C.

Posts: 3691 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 23 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I started with a RCBS junior about 30+ years ago, tried several different setups. I now use the Dillon 550B. Loaded 13,000 rounds in one season. To date I have never had a primer go off accidentaly, thank God. I too have had the occasional primer not feed into the primer pocket and crushed some. But I had the sense to quit pushing and stop before it got out of hand.
What GENGHIS said about concrete floors is just why I have a carpet on my floor. I guess I can get rid of the carpet and get it replaced after it gets too dirty. Better that than to have a bunch go off because I got a case of the dropsies one day. If you aren't getting into large volumes of needed ammo stay away from progressive presses. Also, if you are just getting into it start with a single stage press first. Then after learning the process and gaining confidence, you can go to a progressive if you feel the need to have more ammo. As far as dies go, go for the carbide resizing die it will pay for itself. Buy the best you can afford that you won't have to buy all of them on the market to get a good one. If you have reloading friends go and look at their setups and then decide. Look first then buy.

Posts: 428 | Location: Michigan USA | Registered: 14 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
When I was 14 and reloading with my dad using a C&H MK V progressive press, we had a nearly full tube of CCI primers go off. It blew the primer rod through a florecent light reflector about 8" before coming to a rest. My dad was in front of the press doing the reloading and I was about 6 feet away. The brass end of the tube that releases the primer into the seating arm, fragmented into several peices. I had one peice end up about 1/2" deep into my wrist and another went into my left chest about 1 1/2" deep, my father just got a glass tube shower. After several hours in the ER the peices were recovered and all I have left are the scars. After C&H got the press back they found out that the CCI primers were not perfectly round and one got stuck between the two parts and when the seating arm started to retract, it went off. C&H made some major mod's and set it back with the recommendation that we only use Winchester primers. I used that press for many years, without any other problems ever. I also use a Dillon RL550 and never had problem it. I do hand seat all primers for anything that I don't run through a progessive press using a Lee Auto Prime and never had a problem with that either. So since the first primer problem I have never had any other problems and that has been many of 10'000's rounds over the last 22 years or so. I still do use CCI primers but not in the C&H, however I mainly use Winchesters.

Posts: 26 | Location: West Hemlock, PA | Registered: 08 September 2002Reply With Quote