New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm ppc to 20 ppc
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I freind of mine picked up a used 6mm ppc at a good price and it came with a set reading typ s match die set. He wants to convert the rifle to 20 ppc so he dosnt have to turn necks. So the big question is can he use the 6mm die set to load the 20 ppc. If so what parts are needed and where can they be purchased. Thanks guys

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If he can't turn the necks he probably should not be reloading.
Al it takes is a micrometer and a neck turning tool.
The necks oly have to be turned once. 200 cases will probably out last the barrel.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
So, can the dies be converted to 20 ppc or no? He does not want to fuss with neck turning. He is no a bench guy, just some one who came across a good rifle that he wants to use for varmint shooting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why doesn't he set barrel back and make no-turn neck in 6ppc?

If he does the 20ppc it be best if he sold the 6ppc dies and just buy new ones from Redding.

VFW

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by tom holland:
Why doesn't he set barrel back and make no-turn neck in 6ppc?

If he does the 20ppc it be best if he sold the 6ppc dies and just buy new ones from Redding.

Or he could just have the chamber neck opened - no set back is required.

The neck bushing die can be converted with a new bushing. The seater cannot be converted.

For the hassle he could send his brass to someone and have them turned.
No bench guy is required and the cases will last almost forever.

If he wants a 20 PPC he probably wants the high velocity and does not think the 6 PPC has any poop.
I thought the same thing once. I got a pair of 6X47 Remington 40XBRs. I wanted to rechamber one into a 6mm Remington. After I shot the super accurate 6X47 awhile I forgot the 6mm Rem. Yes I turned my necks.

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yes you can use the 6mm PPC die. The body of the case is the same! All you need is the proper bushing.
It may take an intermediate size to take the neck down from 6mm to .204.
Please note that your 20 PPC loads will have thick necks.
Be sure the chamber reamer is sized to cut a chamber that will use the 6mm PPC brass necked down to .204 without neck turning. To be sure send three or four dummy 20 PPC rounds made with your dies and brass. The reamer maker will cut the reamer to "fit" your loads.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote