THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    30-30 bullet choices for varmit hunting ? what are my options

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

30-30 bullet choices for varmit hunting ? what are my options
 Login/Join

posted
I'm looking for a load and bullet for a 30-30
336 marlin(tube fed) would like to use it for some winter varmit hunting,mostly coyotes,looking for lighter bullets than the 150gr &170gr im using now for deer,anyone have a load and bullet choice,I'm using W748 thanks ,Mike

one of us
Picture of Hobie
posted Hide Post
I believe that Sierra has a 125 gr. FPHP, also there is a 130 gr. FP but I'm not sure who makes that because I don't use it.

Unfortunately, it has been my experience that while you can achieve 2700 fps anytime you exceed 2600 fps accuracy takes a significant downturn. Because your targets are generally smaller it seems best to stay at or under 2600 fps. IMR 3031 and W748 have worked well for me in this application.

Good shooting.

Posts: 2324 | Location: Staunton, VA | Registered: 05 September 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You could try the winchester bulk 150 gr power point there apretty soft projectile and they would work out pretty cheap as well.

Posts: 7505 | Location: Australia | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
AS stated before, the Sierra Pro Hunter #2020, which is a 125 gr. HP/FN bullet, is your best bet in a Varmint bullet for the 30-30. Best performance with this bullet will come withpowders like IMR 4064, Alliant Reloader 12, Winchester 748, or Hodgdon's Varget. Velocity's between 2500 and 2600 are probably best for accuracy and stability.

The 30-30 was not designed to be a varmint rifle to start with, but it should do pretty well with this bullet.

Good Luck and Good Shooting!!! DLM

Posts: 26 | Location: Texas | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am not sure what you are looking for in your 30-30. If you are looking for max dammage you might try the 125 FPHP. I would personaly shoot whatever is more reasionably accurate. A 150 or 170 grain RN will put the pinch on a coyote. I personaly prefer the 150s above all.

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
For varmints, I'd consider a .30-30 LA as a two shooter and try 125-130 grain spitzers. One in the tube and one up the spout is as safe as a skunk in church.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Wstrnhuntr
posted Hide Post
Id go with some cast bullets. Find out what others are getting results with in their 30-30s and custom taylor them for your gun. Their affordability and the low recoil of a 30-30 would let you shoot all day. Either way I say go for it!

Posts: 10166 | Location: Tooele, Ut | Registered: 27 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Sierra 125 as mentioned above with H335, but I also had good luck with Sierra 110 HP's. As mentioned try the spitzers. The Speer 100 gr Plinker would probably work real well also. Sean

Posts: 537 | Location: Vermont | Registered: 04 March 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I know the 30-30 is not a varmit gun but....... have one sitting in the safe,bought it new and have only fired enough rounds thru it to sight in the scope,seems the 444 marlin gets all my attention,lol figured if I could load it with a lighter bullet,I might find a need to take it out and shoot some coyotes with it,I live in New Hampshire,so most shoots will be under 100 yrds.
Thanks for all the info and advise,I see I do have a few choices here,so off to the bench to try some of them out to see what works for my rifle the best,mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
I use the Hornady 100gr short jacket. With a max load of H-4198.

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Superredhawk44,
You might want to try sabot loads, E.Arthur Brown Co. sells the sabot. You can get up to 3500fps according to their load info. If you order their sabot kit they include loading info. I have used the 100gr Hornady short jackets in My 30 Herrett for varmits and they are super explosive even at the slower Herrett velocities.
Albert

Posts: 98 | Location: Kenova WV | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Why not try the Speer 110grain Flat-nose Hollow-point?
A charge of Reloader 7 and you can get 2600fps+ with no problem's in the pressure department either!

Posts: 14 | Location: minnesota | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Pumpkinheaver
posted Hide Post
Try to find some remington accelerators in 30-30. I used them extensivly on woodchucks and they shot great out of my rifle and really did a number on chucks. If you can find load data for them there are several companies out there that sell sabots that you could load various .22 cal bullets in and load into your 30-30 cases.

[ 01-20-2003, 05:39: Message edited by: Pumpkinheaver ]

Posts: 414 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 28 February 2002Reply With Quote
<BigBob>
posted
Superedhawk44,
I've used the Speer 110 grain Varminter with good results. The bullet has a cannelure for a roll crimp and is a hollow point with an exposed lead flat point. Winchester W-748 or Hodgdon BL C2 both work great and give between 2500 and 2600 fps. A word of caution, if you're after pelts this is not the bullet to use. It's messy. Good luck. [Smile]