Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Nosler Accubonds in the Field.
 Login/Join

posted
I've just returned from my annual Colorado mule deer hunt and wanted to pass along some thoughts about these new bullets.
I loaded the 270cal 140gr Accubonds to 2900fps in my old 270Win. and was amazed at their accuracy on the range. Good enough for hunting if their integrity would be as good as the hype....
Mid way through the hunt I had a chance to make a 350yd shot on a fast departing buck so I took a rest and made a good hit on the deer, the bullet entering just in front of the near side hind leg. It ranged forward through the body cavity and evidently stopped in the chest. The buck required a finisher when we arrived his location, he attempted to rise from his bed as we topped the hill so I shot again and that bullet ranged forward in a similar fashion to the first, but this one made it into the hide on the offside shoulder.
It was recovered and looks just like a partition w/o the flaps folded back around the shank. From the close range I'm assuming the front end just blew off shortly after inpact. The first bullet was somewhere in the chest cavity but due to the failing light and our hurried attempts to field dress the buck I did not recover it.
Given the range I shot from on the initial firing I can't say this bullet is any tougher than a regular BT, but the finishing shot showed me that these are well constructed bullets and should be more reliable on close shots. One deer doesn't prove much but I will try them again ASAP.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
How much did the recovered one weigh?

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
John... what would you estimate the penetration was on the second shot, bones broken, and from what range?

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Retained weight was 81.7grs. Second shot penetrated about two feet through the animal, no bones broken or impacted. Range on that shot was about 50yds.

Posts: 1148 | Location: The Hunting Fields | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
That sounds like a failure to me. Only a 50% weight retention? Not a complete passthrough?

Posts: 14 | Location: Wis | Registered: 02 September 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The weight retention is actually about 60%, but from 50yds I doubt a partition would have done anything more. From 350yds the bullet didn't exit but still made it's way from the rear of the body cavity through the vitals. How could that be called failure? Because it didn't exit?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Weight retention of 58% at 50 yards. Based on the way the accubond is designed (to act like a partition) I would hardly say this is a bullet failure. Partitions are designed to retain approximately 60% of original weight. All of them I have pulled from deer and elk over the years have proven this. If this constitutes a bullet failure, then every partition made is designed to fail. Not so, Not so. I think what you have is exactly what the accubond was designed to do. I think it is going to be a wonderful bullet, and I plan on shooting the 200 grain version in my .300 WM for lots of rounds to come.

Posts: 437 | Location: S.E. Idaho | Registered: 23 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Sounds good to me! [Big Grin]

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
John: Had very good results with my .270 accubonds on a moose shot through the front shoulders and exiting just under the hide on the far side. The 140 gr weighted in at 95.1 gr. My son shot at the same moose at the same time using 150 gr partition. Our bullets hit approximately 3' apart. His partion weighted 90.1 gr. I am a happy hunter. Accubonds for this old fart.

Posts: 1 | Location: Vancouver Island, B.C. Canada | Registered: 03 October 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
quote:
That sounds like a failure to me. Only a 50% weight retention? Not a complete passthrough?
Granted that the Accubond hype gives the impression that the bullet will not lose a lot of core, but what exactly constitutes "failure" here? Somehow we have become wedded to the idea that a 140 grain bullet should always weigh 140 grains regardless of what it hits, or it has "failed". At least, we know that the Partition Jacket design is intended to lose most, if not all, of the front core and end up weighing 50% to 60% of its' original weight. It does this with monotonous reliability, and still usually exits the game and kills it quickly! I am not convinced that bullets that retain more of their original weight are better killers on game of all sizes than the Nosler Partition is! This includes shooting the big bears and Cape Buffalo with Nosler Partition bullets of sufficient caliber!

I'll give the Accubonds a try, due to their high ballistic efficiency and apparent similarity to the partition in terminal performance. But I plan to always have some of the Partition type available!

[ 11-13-2003, 20:19: Message edited by: eldeguello ]

one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by canadamoose1:
John: Had very good results with my .270 accubonds on a moose shot through the front shoulders and exiting just under the hide on the far side. The 140 gr weighted in at 95.1 gr. My son shot at the same moose at the same time using 150 gr partition. Our bullets hit approximately 3' apart. His partion weighted 90.1 gr. I am a happy hunter. Accubonds for this old fart.

How far away and with what impact velocity? From what caliber?

one of us
Picture of Tiny
posted Hide Post
Here's another in feild report of the Accubond,140 gr from my Uncles 270 Win at 2950 fps.
Whitetail Deer at 80 yards.1/4 ing frontal shot from a elev. box stand.Bullet entered the front shoulder at the Shoulder blade and Ball Joint,passing through the lungs and exiting in the middle of the rib cage and in the last 3rd of it,exiting with quarter size hole.Shoulder was broke,Lungs were turned to goo and the Spine showed signs of severe shock damage,Deer dropped in its tracks.
On this one the Accubond preformed like I expect the Partition to( the 140 gr in it was used as well and did as it should).Staying together and passing though.
One time results doesn't prove or disprove a Bullet,but the above results are far better than either of us expected and a long way better than another Bonded Bullet I used Last year.
the Accubond looks like a Keeper.Now if they would make me .308 150 gr.

Posts: 205 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
shot a nice mule deer with this bullet.if i can find out how to post pic i have some of bullet.
7mm rum,110yards,bullet 160 grain,weight 107 after hittting deer.
how do i post pic?

one of us
posted Hide Post
You need to place the pic on the internet somewhere and use the URL in your post. If you have no way of doing that, email the pic to me ( jonaadland@verizon.net ) and I'll post it for you.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
On Sunday the 16th I took 2 deer with the 200 gr. Accubond. The first was a 8 pt. buck at 191 yards. He was hit thru both front shoulders (near a property line, wanted to make sure he didn't go anywhere) the bullet broke both shoulders and exited. The second was a large doe at 242 yards. She was hit broadside right thru both lungs, again the bullet exited. The doe dropped right in her tracks and never moved, the buck managed to make it about eight feet before expiring. Thats good results in my book.
Chris

Posts: 44 | Location: Southern Wisconsin | Registered: 14 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Winmagman:
On Sunday the 16th I took 2 deer with the 200 gr. Accubond. The first was a 8 pt. buck at 191 yards. He was hit thru both front shoulders (near a property line, wanted to make sure he didn't go anywhere) the bullet broke both shoulders and exited. The second was a large doe at 242 yards. She was hit broadside right thru both lungs, again the bullet exited. The doe dropped right in her tracks and never moved, the buck managed to make it about eight feet before expiring. Thats good results in my book.
Chris

Congrats! Sounds like they work great!

one of us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if Nosler is going to make an accubond in 6mm. I'd like to see both a 90 grain and 100 grain bullet in 6mm.

Posts: 492 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 27 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
I called them and they said that they are working on it. They already introduced an 180 gr 30 cal and a 140 7mm.

one of us
posted Hide Post
AccuBonds and RUMs accounted for three whitetails for our clan this year, two with the 225/338 and one with the 200/30. Not exactly a "tough" test for such big rounds but it did give a bit of useful info.

One was shot right through the lungs with the 225 from around 60 yards or so. It hit a rib going in and the entrance hole was big enough to take out not only that rib, but also a rib on each side. The exit hole was slightly larger. The deer dropped on the spot. This tells me they open very quickly and will do lots of damage with minimal resistance.

Another was facing and shot from below at very close range, probably less than 20 yards. The 225 entered about where the neck meets the chest, crunched about a foot and a half of spine before exiting the top of the back with a modest sized exit hole. So, it encountered about as much heavy bone as one can find in a whitetail at near muzzle velocity, held together and exited.

The one I took with the 200 was about 100 yards away and shot placement left a little to be desired (it was the first time in many years I have shot at a running animal). He was running full tilt, quartering away, I hit him in the spine just in front of the hindquarter. The bullet turned about 8" of spine into chunky soup before exiting the other side.

So, with three shots, three deer all dropped on the spot (well, mine did slide in the snow for about 10 feet [Wink] ) and all bullets exited. You can't ask for much more than that, although anything less would have surprised me. Unfortunately, no luck on elk yet. Oh yeah, they're death on jackrabbits and porcupines too. [Big Grin]

And they were accurate enough I could enjoy whacking my gong out to 800 yards after filling my tag. Pretty good all around performance, I'd say. [Wink]

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote