New
Find
Notify
Tools

40 grain V-MAX in 223 rem
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have a box of 40g V-MAX bullets, 1000 lake city military brass and 8# of BL-C(2) powder can anyone give me a good starting point on this combination for my 223?

Posts: 64 | Location: Utah | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hornady does not list BL-C(2) for this combination.

LWD

Posts: 2104 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: 16 April 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
25+ gns will really move them along and should be nowhere near max with that weight pill. The case will be almost full. If you intend hunting with this pill it might be a good ides to start a bit lighter with the powder else you risk blowups on the hide.

Shooting is FUN, winning is MORE fun but shooting IS fun.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
BLC-2 really comes alive in 55grain 223 loadings. Check your manual, but you can push 3400 fps without any problems in this powder.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:

LWD

Then use the same data for W 748...BLC 2 duplicates it...

Actually, I ran across some real old data using BLC2 with a 40 grain bullet a long time ago.. and tried it out with Zero problems from pressure... and screaming velocity...

30 grains of BLC2 in a 223, with non Magnum primers...

work up, but you won't embrace pressure problems with my experience with the powder...someone with quickload told me the pressure was about 45 to 46K PSI...

The loads I have used in my 223s, have been very very accurate...

But this is in a bolt gun, so if you do it in an AR, work up definitely...I am not an AR kinda guy...I love my bolt actions...

just checked..

Sierra and Lyman's manuals list BLC 2 with a 40 grain bullet, at 28.5 and 29 grains...with velocity in the 3350 to 3400 range... which isn't a lot, considering Benchmark and RL 7 will give you in the 3650 to 3800 range with the same bullet weight..
so pressure with BLC 2 is going to be pretty low in comparison.. so nothing to worry about...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the 26th edition Hodgdon manual ( fourth printing) and it does show a 40 grain bullet using BL-2. 26.5 grains gets 3368 fps with 35,400 cup and 28.5 grains gets you 3612 fps with 45,400 cup. It was in a 26" barrel.

Posts: 420 | Location: Boise, Idaho | Registered: 08 November 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by seafire/B17G:
quote:
Originally posted by LWD:

LWD

Then use the same data for W 748...BLC 2 duplicates it...

Actually, I ran across some real old data using BLC2 with a 40 grain bullet a long time ago.. and tried it out with Zero problems from pressure... and screaming velocity...

30 grains of BLC2 in a 223, with non Magnum primers...

work up, but you won't embrace pressure problems with my experience with the powder...someone with quickload told me the pressure was about 45 to 46K PSI...

The loads I have used in my 223s, have been very very accurate...

But this is in a bolt gun, so if you do it in an AR, work up definitely...I am not an AR kinda guy...I love my bolt actions...

just checked..

Sierra and Lyman's manuals list BLC 2 with a 40 grain bullet, at 28.5 and 29 grains...with velocity in the 3350 to 3400 range... which isn't a lot, considering Benchmark and RL 7 will give you in the 3650 to 3800 range with the same bullet weight..
so pressure with BLC 2 is going to be pretty low in comparison.. so nothing to worry about...

Thanks for the info. I loaded some up with 26 grains before reading your post seafire. I had just bought the gun a ruger m77 bolt. I was heading out of town and wanted to take it with me and sight it in and try it out on some jack rabbits. I loaded up the v-max and some 36 grain barnes varmint grenades with the same amount of bl-c2 with none mag primers. there were no signs of pressure. My end result was 5 shots 1 inch @ 100yds off sand bags. The nice thing is that both bullets hit at the same point of aim. After reading your post I think I will work up the load a bit more.

Thanks Bret

Posts: 64 | Location: Utah | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you are going hunting you need to get a lot more velocity to make the bullets work. Even the V-Max will not expand enough if its not driven hard.

Shooting is FUN, winning is MORE fun but shooting IS fun.

Posts: 336 | Location: Toowoomba, Queensland, Australia | Registered: 09 March 2001Reply With Quote