Find
Notify
Tools

spoting scope
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need a new spoting scope for 200yds plus

Can someone recommend a not so expensive good scope?

Rick

Posts: 4821 | Location: Idaho/North Mex. | Registered: 12 June 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You will get every set of recommendations from expensive high end scopes to mid range. Avoid the very cheap. Myself, I shoot Palma and long range to 1000 yards. My old reliable Kowa that I had been using for 20 years suffered a fall that was unrepairable so I also had to look for a new scope.

Budget considerations made me look at the mid range- $150 to $250 - but other shooters had a range of scopes that I could look through and check. I wanted a angled scope and after a lot of asking around,I decided that I would be happy with a Celestron Ultima 65mm or 80mm, Konus, or Meade - Redtail or Condor, etc - their users were happy with them and they were in my price range. I settled on a Meade 77mm Redtail - in the upper range of my budget, but I got a good deal on it - waterproof, sealed and good optics - just keep the magnification at 25X. Am happy with the optics. The Meade Condor 50mm can be got for $100. Look around and make your own decision.

Arte et Marte

Posts: 116 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 09 September 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
This is not really an answer, just a similar question.

Field and Stream had a spotting scope article and recommended the Alpen mini 20x50 for under $100. I am curious if anyone has experience with them.

Liberals believe that criminals are just like them and guns cause crimes. Conservatives believe criminals are different and that it is the criminals that cause crimes. Maybe both are right and the solution is to keep guns away from liberals.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Here's a possible alternative. A lot of BR, F class, and long range varmint shooters like to see their targets through the scope and not have to mess with spotting scopes. http://www.bulzeyepro.com/ This item was developed by a well respected BR shooter and is a quality product. I have 2 of them. They work as advertised. It does take some time and effort to set up on your scope, but the results are worth it. I could not see 6mm bullet holes with a 24 power scope at 200 yards--with a 4x ultra bright--now I can!!! I liked it so much I bought one for my 36 power scope for when I go even blinder--probably next season.......BTW--I don't use my spotting scope anymore--at the range but it's really great for looking at the moon---when the clouds go away--3 days a year----

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of youngoutdoors
posted Hide Post
What do the bulzeyepro's cost? Thanks and God Bless, Louis

Posts: 1381 | Location: Mountains of North Carolina | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Corax - I have the Alpen 15-30x50. It's very nice, works great. I believe they are around $111 now. I think I got it a little cheaper a couple years ago. The zipper broke on the soft case, which I'm not happy about, but I doubt Alpen make their own cases...ha ha. The scope itself is excellent quality.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I recommend the Konus 80mm for $235. The 100mm sells for about $100 more but must be very big and heavy. It comes with a cheap tripod, cheap but adequate nylon bag and T camera adapter.

I have one and am pleased with it's price /quality.

Jim Owens sells Kowa scopes too but some high power shooters claim they can't tell much difference. He sells a great scope stand for $135 too. It can be easily adjusted for prone sitting or standing off hand shooting.

Optics Planet sells them too.

I looked through an Alpen 60mm this week and it does not compare.

Check out;
www.jarheadtop.com/products.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The website has the prices on it--mine were both $95.00 as I recall, but there are others that cost a bit more. I'm thinking $125 was the top price, but don't hold Gene to it--it's his lens and my memory. homer

If the enemy is in range, so are you. - Infantry manual

Posts: 494 | Location: The drizzle capitol of the USA | Registered: 11 January 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I went through the same thing a few weeks ago. I went to the Optics Forum of at SWFA. There were two spotters that were recomended to me.

The Bushnell Excursion and the Vortex Sandpiper. The Sandpiper sells for about $300, I found it here for $199. For $200 I think it is about the best there is.

http://www.cameralandny.com/op...page=vortexsandpiper

Here is the link to the Optix forum.

http://www.opticstalk.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=13794

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Oddbod
posted Hide Post
I bought a straight Vortex Sandpiper a couple of months ago & am happy with its performance so far, though I haven't used it much for targets over 200yds.
Eagle Optics told me it was being discontinued & only the angled eyepiece version would be available once current stocks were exhausted.

Here's a pretty comprehensive test of several spotting scopes in each price range:
http://www.livingbird.org/NetC...id=272&srcid=265#top

Posts: 610 | Location: Cumbria, UK | Registered: 09 July 2007Reply With Quote