Find
Notify
Tools

Help: Need Press Suggestions
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted
I friend who will be at SCI has asked me to get him a reloading press that will handle 3" .500 NE cartridges. I know there are a number of good presses out there for the job -- I use a Lee Classic Cast -- but he needs one that does not weigh a ton to pack for the airline trip home. Most of the cast iron presses seem to weigh 18-20 pounds shipping weight. Any ideas on a cast aluminum press that will handle the longer cartridges like the .500 NE? Thanks!

Mike

Posts: 21386 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
Give him your Lee, and buy yourself a Redding Big Boss II. You'll be happy. Wink

http://www.midwayusa.com/produ...CompListing-_-271710

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Blacktailer
posted Hide Post
Pick one out and have it shipped. Wink

Have gun- Will travel
The value of a trophy is computed directly in terms of personal investment in its acquisition. Robert Ruark

Posts: 3829 | Location: Cave Creek, AZ | Registered: 09 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Redding Big Boss II will do them supposedly.

But I have a Redding UltraMag that will do them better. Much more working room and can handle any other big cases up to 50BMG. Works excellent on 45-70 size and on 7MM, 338 and 416 as well.

Of course they are not aluminum - sorry. I dont think the little RCBS Partner press can do those big cases and it is the aluminum I have just to move around if we need it.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MJines
posted Hide Post
I think the Partner may be the way to go. I would love to have it shipped but it would have to shipped to Africa. The cast iron presses are great but they are very heavy. Looks like the Partner is around 5 pounds. That is sounding pretty good.

Mike

Posts: 21386 | Registered: 03 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My suggestion is IF you elect to try to use the Partner press, then bolt it down to a solid non flexing mounting plate something like 12 x 12 inch. I use 1 inch thick ABS plastic. Then attach or bolt that on the four corners to the working surface. This is to minimize the flex as much as possible. Then I would think about liberally lubing the cases with Imperial, maybe even extra, for something big as you dont have any extra leverage available. And while it can seat bullets, I dont know how much length you can go there with the die in place.

Posts: 1440 | Location: Houston, Texas USA | Registered: 16 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
My suggestion is IF you elect to try to use the Partner press, then bolt it down to a solid non flexing mounting plate something like 12 x 12 inch. I use 1 inch thick ABS plastic. Then attach or bolt that on the four corners to the working surface. This is to minimize the flex as much as possible ......

TexKD,

Oustanding suggestion.

Also, measure a 4"x4" to fit from the floor to the bench and mount it (before mounting the Press) directly underneath where the Partner Press will be located. Solid, takes any give outa the bench, too.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornTake a look at the Hollywood presses , cadqueenell@aol.com ---
telle; 818 842 8376 beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've loaded .470 on a partner, use imperial for sizing and its not an issue

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Who shoots a .500 NE 3.0" and can't afford to have a decent press shipped to his home?

Posts: 13978 | Location: http://www.tarawaontheweb.org/tarawa2.jpg | Registered: 03 December 2008Reply With Quote