THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    My Universal hand primer (RCBS) has met it's match

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

My Universal hand primer (RCBS) has met it's match
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of richj
posted
in the form of Winchester 45 Long Colt brass.

The combination of minimal rim and groove and thick lips on the tool make it very hard the prime the cases. Most of the time the cases just fly out of the holder.

Posts: 6481 | Location: NY, NY | Registered: 28 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Try another shell holder that is a bit tighter.
I remember having to do the same but I can't remember which one I went to for the starline brass vs the older Winchester.
Frank

Posts: 6935 | Location: hydesville, ca. , USA | Registered: 17 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Isn't the RCBS Universal a spring loaded shell holder that adapts to all rims? If so it doesn’t take regular shell holders. Wink

I have a little trouble with Colt cases too. Although not as bad as your problem, it's the only case design I have any trouble with. Call RCBS and tell them what is going on, they'll treat you right.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Had a similar problem with 338 Lapua Mag cases.
I resolved it by dis-assembling the unit, I think it was just a couple of small screws. Carefully cleaned up everything and I used a Dremel wire brush to polish up the bottoms of the holders.
Seemed to be a fix for mine.

Gary

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Try get a later manifactured shell holder. The older onces had very tight bottoms. The newer one's has been opened up to fit the new hand prime models. Had similar problems with a Hornady Hand Prime. It had refused to work with some Lee shell holder.