THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    Re: close up pics of failed partition, per request

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: close up pics of failed partition, per request
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The game thought Kerry was hunting them and fell asleep.

Picture of jeffeosso
posted Hide Post
Marc,

great pics..thanks again... and, as a fella 2 plates 6 carridge bolt man.. miami and detroit are the only airports that i routinely set off

jeffe

Posts: 39696 | Location: Conroe, TX | Registered: 01 June 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quote:

I did not dig th ebullet out of the moose. It bounced off of his skin, flying right back at me. ALmost put my eye out. Good thing the Nosler came apart or it would have had enough energy to penetrate my cornea.

Now that's the funniest thing I've read all night! Thanks for the laugh.

Posts: 920 | Location: Mukilteo, WA | Registered: 29 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
"Failed" bullet? I've gotta ask how you got the animals to sit still while you dug the bullet out?

Posts: 105 | Location: Gulfport MS | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ok, let's establish a few things

1. I'm not stupid
2. I know what a Nosler Partition is
3. I am crazy
4. I don't have measurable brain damage, but I have been knocked unconcious 7 different times
5. I am not drunk (don't even drink a drop), but I am on narcotics right now. Actually, that is why I have been goofing off on the net lately. I am home awaiting my 14th operation. They will put two more plates on my spine this time. Hopefully I can go back to work and also spend more time in the shop. Anyway, the narcotics do not change the bullets in the black and gold boxes.
6. I went upstairs and checked my reloading notebook. Muzzele velocity of the 7mm bullet, measuered from this rifle at 12' from the muzzle, was 2717 fps. Impact range still approximately 125 meters.
7. while a red head has never put me in a hospital, the red headed kickboxer that drove a motorcylce that I was "socializing" with lest year did have to drive me to a hospital one time.

I am into photography, but I have not set up my home studio yet. Please excuse these amature photos. I took some pics with different lighting, and an "L" lens, and they came out better. You can clearly see the lead in the bases of the outer two. THe .30 bullet killed a deer the morning Bill CLinton was elected the first time. The .270 bullet killed a yearling the day after Thanksgiving '93. The 7 mm killed a moose THe last Saturday in September, this year.

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=2709755093&congratulation_page=Y

THis photo album is a hell of a lot mor einteresting than twisted pieces of copper and lead:

http://www.imagestation.com/album/?id=4285888785

Again, I don't care what any one uses for bullets. I just read a post that said "show me" and I happened to have a pic that "showed it". I have not been aggravated or offended or pissed off by any of this. Quite to the contrary, it has actually been entertaining for me. And being cooped up in the house and unable to do much work in th eshop, I need all of the entertainment I can get these days. Just want to be sure no one thinks I am pissed or anything. I know depending on how much medicine I am on, I can come across differently at times. I never mean bad, but I am sure it comes across differently than I intend at times.

Enjoy the pics

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gatehouse
posted Hide Post
So lets have the full story!!

Posts: 3082 | Location: Pemberton BC Canada | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see a picture of that center jacket from a frontal view. It would be interesting to see where and how the partition seperated from the jacket. It would also silence those who say it's not a partition.

Paul

Posts: 105 | Location: Gulfport MS | Registered: 04 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I with Paul on that. Without siding on the issue of "Is or Isn't", I'm really wondering where the partition wandered off to. I'm having a difficult time trying to imagine how a 7x57 could do that, especially with the shank in fairly good condition.

In the FWIW Dept, Slightly Odd Division, I have a Hornady .358, 250 gr IL that was purchased along with the others in the box to feed my .358 Winnie. The core went into the shank and somehow got inverted prior to swagging. Prettiest FMJ front/flat lead base bullet you ever saw, as if it were intentional. No IL or cannelure evident. Bet it would penetrate okay....

Posts: 9647 | Location: Yankeetown, FL | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
when looking at the center bullet in the pictures listed above, the partition part of the jacket is partially on the piece that folded back towards the heel of the bullet. Maybe 40% of the partition tore off with the piece that peeled back. THe remaining 60% stayed where you though it would. It is kinda hard to see because the part of the jacket that performed as expected (meaning the front part that peeled back after shedding its lead) is a wrapped around the heel of the bullet. I had to look at it for a mintue when holding it in may hand to figure out what happened. Here are a couple of more views of th ebullet in question from different angles. I am trying to post th epic in the post. if it does not show up, follow the link at the bottom of the post

FWIW-I will only be able to post more pictures of this bullet for the next 7 days. It is so famous now, I have put it on EBAY. I figure as much attention as it has gotten on this one little board, it will fetch millions when the whole world gets a look at it. Then I won't have to worry about going back to work even if the surgery is successful.

bullet pics from different angles

Posts: 2509 | Location: Kisatchie National Forest, LA | Registered: 20 October 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here you go, the other angle:

Posts: 588 | Location: Central Valley | Registered: 01 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Marc,

Those pictures you posted look like typical Nosler Partitions to me, particularly if it was driven very fast at all! The Swift A Frames do the same things as well, but their bases are generally a little heavier I think. The Partitions normally shed the entire front of the bullet leaving only the little base to go on. Kinda like a using a 30 carbine FMJ if you started with a 200 gr Partition, ie explosive expansion for a few inches and then carbine performance the rest of the way (not my idea of an ideal bullet design). My 300 Weatherby did that kinda damage to several Noslers, that is why I try NEVER to use the damned things (that would include the A Frames by Swift as well). In my opinion a Sierra Game King is better, at least the lead core usually stays in one lump

Most of these guys will just argue because the facts of the matter do not match the Nosler marketing. They all believe the marketing and deny the facts. This is a phenomena you need to get used to if you are going to continue to post here at AR, or most any internet site imagine.

ASS_CLOWN

Posts: 1673 | Location: MANY DIFFERENT PLACES | Registered: 14 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Here's a picture of the remains of a 180 gr Nosler partition shot from a .300 Win Mag at about 3000 fps. The moose was quartering away at about 30 yds. The bullet broke the two rear ribs on the left side on entry and came to rest under the hide on the right front-about 3 feet. Both lungs were totally destroyed. I imagine the front half of the bullet became scrapnel.

This is the result of the 'failed' bullet

Posts: 408 | Location: Sechelt, B.C., Canada | Registered: 11 December 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ass clown:

The picture showing three bullets has two "proper" partitions, plus the one in the middle that lost ALL lead in the FRONT and REAR. THe picture that has about 8 different angles of the same bullet shows it from every angle to prove to folks that it is just a jacket remaining.

The other two bullets I showed, plus the one from Mauser98, are typical Partitions. THe one I posted with all of the different views was an anomaly. But it did fail none the less. THere is no way Nosler would consider a Partition that lost all lead as being "acceptable" performance.

FWIW this time next week I will be hunting with the same bullet in a different 7x57. I have a strong suspicion that things will be just fine.

One of Us
Picture of Collins
posted Hide Post
Marc, Are you saying that you shot a .270 at a moose 125 meters away. And that the bullet, "Bounced off the moose" and came back 125 meters and hit you in the face?

Posts: 2327 | Location: The Sunny South! St. Augustine, FL | Registered: 29 May 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thats about what I would expect from a Nosler shot into gravel...

Posts: 42176 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote