New
Find
Notify
Tools

300 RUM load suggestion needed.
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Wanting to try 165 gr Swift Scroccios for deer....anyone got any good loads? Primarily interested in RL-22 loads if possible.

Take it easy.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
RL-22 From 79.4 grains to 94.8 grains
Winchester WLR Primer

But I kind of favored:
H-870 From 100.2 grains to 111.0 grains
Remington 9-1/2M Primer

I know these are broad ranges, but I found that the .300 RUM is kind of picky...

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey thanks..much appreciated. I see where 94.0 grains of RL-22 is considered a max load. In the past, especially with RL-22 powder, I have gotten dangerous pressures with Scroccio's way before their max load levels are reached. I like the bullet, and want to develop an accurate hunting load with it, but am leery of the rapid acceleration of pressure that bullet produces. In trying to develop a 180 grain load, I ended up blowing the bolt handle clean off my rifle...no *&^% kidding! The load was below the published max for that powder and that bullet. Like the bullet, but am wary of what they can do when presures skyrocket. I ended up getting the handle welded back on by my gunsmith...no other problems out of any bullet/load combination.

Posts: 373 | Location: Leesburg, GA | Registered: 22 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
If you get a chance try the Barnes TSX. I used them on deer for the first time last week in Lumpkin and got 3 nice kills. They don't come apart leaving pieces of bullet in the deer and I got good pass thrus with my 7mm08 with the 140 TSX. Exit hole was about 3/4 for good bleeding.
I load the 180TSX in my 300SAUM but havent' taken it hunting yet.
Good Luck

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My 300 rum really seems to like 200 gr bullets
never could get the 150-175 gr bullets to soot
worth a darn.
Charlie

Posts: 165 | Location: unit 10 Colorado | Registered: 19 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Dr B
posted Hide Post
I second the Barnes 165 TSX for the 300 RUM.
Dr B

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
If you get a chance try the Barnes TSX

I agree.I am using the 180gr tsx in my two 300ultramags with great results.90% weight retention,very good expansion and great penetration on elk.My guns are producing 3360fps and 3380fps.They are worth trying to see if they shoot well in your rifle.They average 5/8" groups in both of my rifles.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey folks, thanks for the suggestions. Hysider, I talked with Kenny Jarrett a long time ago when I got one of his rifles in 300 mag. He pointed out to me an interesting observation. Of course, it does not apply in ALL 300's, but danged if it doesn't apply to about 90% of them. Seems that the 300 mags, in load testing/workup, either prefer 165's & 200's OR they prefer 180's. But usually not all three. A friend of mine got one of Kenny's 300 Jarretts after he saw mine, and his is one that prefers 165's and 200's. Mine has been though 3 barrels and every time, without exception, it prefered 180's. I tried to build an accuracy load with 200 grain accubonds for my elk hunt this year and while it is a consistant two-tenths inch @ 100 yds gun, I could only get 3/4" with the 200's. I really wanted to try the 200's and decided the accuracy was "good enough" in this case. My thinking was that if it does prefer standard 180's, the 165 Scroccio's may shoot, as they are about the same in bearing surface, since the Scroccios are long for weight.

Take it easy.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dwight I have been hearing some good things about the TSX's, but don't know anyone around here that sells them. Perhaps AOA?
I tried some Barnes a few years back and had some bad luck, as did my hunting buddiesk, with them "icepicking" through deer. Lost a heck of a nice 8 pointer because of that...but my buddy got him on video while shooting...oh well, got a video anyway.
Y'all take it easy up in Lumpkin and honk your horn when passing back through town on your way home.

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hank H.:
Dwight I have been hearing some good things about the TSX's, but don't know anyone around here that sells them. Perhaps AOA?
I tried some Barnes a few years back and had some bad luck, as did my hunting buddiesk, with them "icepicking" through deer. Lost a heck of a nice 8 pointer because of that...but my buddy got him on video while shooting...oh well, got a video anyway.
Y'all take it easy up in Lumpkin and honk your horn when passing back through town on your way home.

The new TSX is a great imporvement over the old X bullet in accuracy. You also need over 1800 fps for good expandion. I order mine from Cabelas online. Local dealers will not stock them due to price. Follower their instructions and seat them a little deeper than normal. They performed perfectly for me. A nice 3/4" exit hole and lots of blood pumping out.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote