New
Find
Notify
Tools

2400 in 45ACP / AR
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any experience with 2400 in the 45ACP / AR? It used to be listed years ago in the older manuals but I see nothing on it anymore. Why was it dropped? 2400 works well in the 32 Mag., 38 Spl., 357,41, etc. Would it have to do with a crimp being required for slower powder? If so, most dies will crimp. This should cause no problem with moon clips in revolvers. I'd like some current data for bullets between 155-260gr. if there is any. Thanks.

Posts: 403 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ol` Joe
posted Hide Post
I think 2400 is just too slow for the ACP or AR. I haven`t seen any referance to it in these rounds, past or present, that I can remember. The slow powders need pressure to give a good burn and there just isn`t the needed pressure in these cartridges. The cartridges you named that use it all run at higher PSI then the 45 (except the 38) and the only loads useing it in the 38 have been +p loadings.
Personally I think Power Pistol, HS-6, or Unique are more appropriate in the 45 for heavy loads.

------------------------------------
The trouble with the Internet is that it's replacing masturbation as a leisure activity. ~Patrick Murray

"Why shouldn`t truth be stranger then fiction?
Fiction after all has to make sense." (Samual Clemens)

"Saepe errans, numquam dubitans --Frequently in error, never in doubt".

Posts: 2535 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 20 January 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
2400 was just fine and dandy for use in a revolver. I think I used about 11 gr 2400 w/260 gr cast semi-wadcutter in an old Mod 25 with a 6 1/2" barrel. Back in those days, you used the load that worked for most guys without any problems. It was a tack driver and delivered sub-1" five shot cloverleaf groups at 25 yrd and 2" groups at 50. I can't see the front sight as well as I did 30 yrs ago.

Cool Cool mgun

Lo do they call to me,
They bid me take my place
among them in the Halls of Valhalla,
Where the brave may live forever.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'd like to try it with 155-200gr. I would prefer not to travel in uncharted territory. I have seen data and older articles referencing 2400 with 240-260gr. but nothing lighter. I guess I could use that data with some consideration for todays hotter 2400. I can't think of any reason why it wouldn't work.

Posts: 403 | Location: Hurricane Central, FL | Registered: 11 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Personally, I don't think 2400 works that well in the lighter bullets. It seems to reach it's stride with heavier bullets in most calibers.

Cool Cool

Lo do they call to me,

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
I think you'll find it very dirty in a .45acp. BlueDot is about as slow as I wuld go & that would be w/ a 200-230gr bullet. Go ahead & load some up. I don't think you can get enough in the case to cause any pressure problems.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
i think its to slow for a clean burn. I would bet that it would be one dirty gun afterwards

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
It may need the greater resistance of a heavier slug for the powder to combust properly. I guess I will have to find out. Lyman used to list a light accuracy load for a 168gr. in the 38 spl. using 2400. It was dirty but it did shoot. I have found that it cleans up rather well once 11grs. is reached in the 38 with a 158gr.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Like I said, I don't think you can get enough 2400 in a case to have any pressure problems. FWIW, BlueDot is a bit faster so you could use that data as a starter.

posted Hide Post
I only shoot 45 ACP from two strong revolvers (Blackhawk and FA97). In those, 13.5g 2400 under a 255 cast works for me. Using this load in a S&W or 1911 may not be a good idea.

There's also a 45AR thread below which may help you.
http://forums.handloads.com/forum_posts.asp?TID=4181&PN=2

Posts: 11 | Location: MI (UP) | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ktw:
Interesting thread. Just let loose of my last Blackhawk .45 (had over 12) and my 97 Conv. Will probably order another of those eventually. Am leaning toward the New Vaquero whenever it is offered in a conv. .45.
Looks like there are plenty of folks still using 2400 in the .45AR. It appears that only heavy bullets have been tried. I still need a fast load for the 155gr. for prairie dogs. Thanks.

posted Hide Post
Would help you if I could, but I've never personally used anything less than a 200gr swc in a 45 caliber handgun.

Ricciardelli doesn't even list loads in that bullet weight range and I've alsways considered his site to be one the better ones for off-the-beaten-track bullet/powder combinations.

Posts: 11 | Location: MI (UP) | Registered: 15 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tanker, you're in uncharted territory as not many use 155 gr wadcutters in a 45 ACP/AR using 2400. You might try Unique, Herco, or Blue Dot. Starting loads would 5% of max for a 185 gr JHP.

Cool Cool Roll Eyes

Lo do they call to me,

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
I think you'll find it very dirty in a .45acp. BlueDot is about as slow as I wuld go & that would be w/ a 200-230gr bullet. Go ahead & load some up. I don't think you can get enough in the case to cause any pressure problems.

I use to burn a lot of Blue Dot in a 1911, and as memory serves me it worked well. The load was a 230gr Speer swaged LRN w/ 10.2 grains B dot and a Federal primer. Sorry, don't remember the velocity. With Speer's 200 grain flying ashtray and that same charge, I could break 1000fps.
2400 I'm afraid will net poor results in the 45ACP for the following reasons:
-case can't be roll crimped; taper crimp only in the 1911
-insufficient case volume
-the light bullet you plan on using.
Overall, it has been my experience that powders like Unique (and in that burning range) are best in the 45 ACP.
Ken Waters did a story on this very same thing back in the 80s. See if you can scrounge up a vintage "Handloader" magazine.
-

one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fredj338:
... BlueDot is about as slow as I wuld go & that would be w/ a 200-230gr bullet. ...
For years and YEARS I used faster Pistol Powders such as WW-231 or HP-38 in my 45ACPs and was extremely happy.

Then I happened to read in an old Handloader an article by Ken Waters in his Pet Loads section about using Blue Dot in it. Since Mr. Waters reloading knowledge could fill the Pacific, it took little thought on my part to make up a few Loads and try it out. The recoil impulse is slower and the groups are great.

So, if you have access to his Pet Loads Manuals, you might want to run some tests with Blue Dot. I doubt I can find the Article, so if anyone else has access to the Pet Loads, jump in and help him out with the load-range.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use BlueDot with the 200 Speer JHP as a standard load for my custom Ruger No.1. It is extremely accurate in the rifle but dismal in my revolvers. It also leaves a mess in the rifle bore. I danced around with several attempts but could not make it group in several M-25-2. I might add that Speer apparently softened those "ashtrays" up a bit before discontinuing them. I noticed a drastic decrease in penetration on deer. I have relegated it to pure varmint status. A smallish buck shot in the back of the neck at 65 yards dropped at the shot but the bullet was found completely flattened up against the vertibre. Penetration was less than 2". The buck apparantly died of shock to the spine. This happend twice with the same results.

one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
That's what I've been saying guys, BD is pretty slow, might have some application for +p loads under a 230gr JHP, but I agree, med. fast burners like Unique seem to work best.
Well Tanker, if you didn't like BD you will find 2400 equally dissapointing I'm afraid it's slower burning still.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I know 2400 is slower. I have found it cleaner than BD. Looks like I need to do a bit of experimentation. Just didn't want to reinvent the wheel. I know good results have been achieved with 2400 using heavy weights. I guess I will pick up from there. Who knows what may be discovered.