New
Find
Notify
Tools

Double charges in progressive presses
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Dillion has a thing on their 650 that will check to see if the powder measure depensed the right charge. How often do the these progressive presses depense a double charge or no charge at all?

[ 02-26-2003, 21:45: Message edited by: Sean ]

Posts: 184 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 15 November 2000Reply With Quote
<Sam>
posted
Unfortunately, I've found two in my last batch of 500. I still have about 200 left. This is the first large batch (more than 50) I've done. I'm not sure if it was from stopping to refill stations or powder flow problems. This is from a Lee Loadmaster not a Dillon. Unless I do another batch soon I won't have an answer on the cause for a while.

Administrator
posted Hide Post
Gentlemen,

I have loaded many thousands of shorgun and pistol ammo on progressive reloaders, Lee, Ponsness Warren and Dillon.

The ONLY time your likely to throw a double charge is if something interrupts the smooth operation of the machine.

My suggestion is that if for any reason you do have to fix something while loading, pay attention to what you are doing, and shut the powder and/or shot drop.

I have seen people get into such a mess with progressive reloaders, where the only way to clear things up is empty all the stations and start from scratch.

Posts: 67465 | Location: Dubai, UAE | Registered: 08 January 1998Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sean:
Dillion has a thing on their 650 that will check to see if the powder measure depensed the right charge. How often do the these progressive presses depense a double charge or no charge at all?

I agree with S post the various progressives I've used don't mess up a powder charge UNLESS you mess up the routine or let the charge system get so dirty and use the wrong powder that it stops up or bridges in the tube.....just make a firm rule for yourself not to stop production or modify the settings unless you start over and check the powder and priming of the cases and the first few you do after ANY change in the setup at any of the stations.....and if you do stop leave the ram in the up position and this way you can't move the plate or add new brass untill you lower the ram and advance the plate adding a new round of brass......this has worked for many years and thousands of rounds with no problems of double or no charges.....good luck and good shooting!!!

Posts: 687 | Location: Jackson/Tenn/Madison | Registered: 07 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TXPO
posted Hide Post
I've got a Dillon 550 that I have loaded thousands upon thousands of varios pistol and .223 rounds over the last 10 years and have NEVER had a double charge! When, on the rare occasions, that the press has a hiccup and I have to sort things out I examine the situation very carefully before continuing........so far, so good! [Wink]

Posts: 700 | Location: Wallis, Texas | Registered: 14 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've done thousands of rounds on a Dillon 550, without ever having a double charge. Why? Because I am extremely careful when reloading. I don't take phone calls, listen to music (never mind TV), or allow familial interruption. Period. When I did interrupt a session, I always ran through the cases that were on the machine to completion. That way there's never a charged case under the powder die.

Furthermore, make sure you have adequate lighting above the press, and look for the powder before placing the bullet.

Oh, and there's an even better way: only use powders that fill the case over half way. Hard to goof it up then!

But this is all standard operating procedure, I assume. I have loaded (non-progressive) one empty rifle cartridge. Caught it when I weighed them though (another oft-neglected safety step).

The other posters are right: the Dillon doesn't goof, the reloader does.

Pertinax

Posts: 444 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 07 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I load on a Dillon 550B. You cannot double load a case unless you run the case up into the powder funnel twice, without advancing the shell plate.

Posts: 598 | Location: Missouri | Registered: 16 June 2000Reply With Quote