New
Find
Notify
Tools

What's a Hornady "Barrier" bullet?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Midsouth is offering a .224 60 grain Hornady "Barrier" bullet at a very reasonable price. In the photos, it looks pretty much like a regular cannelured Hornady softpoint, but perhaps with the meplate flattend a little so that the lead does not extend beyond the tip of the jacket. It is apparently the bullet that Hornady loads in its "Tactical and Police" ammunition.

Anybody know what the construction and performance parameters of this bullet are? No guesses, please; I can speculate just fine on my own.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
In that case, why don't you just speculate over to the phone and call midsouth or hornady?????

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I saw the "deal" too. I did a search on google of "hornady tap" and came up with some police websites where they were tested. My interpretation of what I saw was the bullet is supposed to be "tough enough" to penetrate a human being but not so tough as to keep going through motel room walls etc. The bullet they chose for .308 tactical is the hornady a-max which is pretty frangible.
So, from what I can tell it isn't a partition or a x bullet but it isn't a pure varmit bullet like a speer tnt. It's pretty much like most of your .22 cal bullets like a win power point etc.
You can do your own search and make your own interpretation. I would say for the price they are a good deal and just an "average" all around bullet. Accuracy reports I saw made it look pretty average--not match grade quality. Please post what Midsouth or Hornady might say if you get that far.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Because I figure that the correspondents here on AR are likely to know a lot more about the subject than whomever might happen to answer the phone at either of the two sources you mention.

. . . Just read Kraky's reply, see what I mean? Thanks, Kraky!

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote