Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ramshot Tac and 375Ruger
 Login/Join

posted
I recently became the proud owner of a 375 Ruger Alaskan, SS, laminate stock,23in. barrel. I am wanting to load 270 gr. round nose bullets @ 2500 fps. I have a little IMR4895 and quite a bit of Ramshot Tac. I would like to try Reloader 15 but so far cannot find any available. My question is has anyone tried Tac n their 375 Ruger and if so any starting loads. thanks for any information. This is my first post but have been enjoying this forum for years.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Can't pass along any info for loading the 375 Ruger with TAC. What I can say is that when I've called or emailed the folks at Ramshot Powders regarding load data for various cartridges or powders, they've been very helpful. That said, it'd be worth your time to give them a call. Let us know what you find out.

Posts: 486 | Location: Moving | Registered: 23 September 2010Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have contacted them and they recommend Big Game and Hunter. They said that Tac was too fast to be a good powder in 375 Ruger. I have seen loads listed for H4895 / IMR4895 and Tac is rated right along with them ( fast to slow ).I realize Tac may not be optimum for the 375 Ruger .

One of Us
Picture of PaulS
posted Hide Post
The burn rates for those chrts is conducted in a closed container and do not simulate the expanding chamber of a rifle or pistol chamber as the bulletr allows the chamber to "expand" as the bullet travels down the barrel.
This is important because smokeless powder burns faster with increases in pressure. when you put a powder into a cartridge that is listed as "close to" another powder you may find that you end up with big differences in pressure and velocity.

If a powder is not recommended for your cartridge DON'T USE IT!

Speer, Sierra, Lyman, Hornady, Hodgdon have reliable reloading data. You won't find it on so and so's web page.

Posts: 639 | Location: SE WA.  | Registered: 05 February 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
PaulS
Thanks for the reply. I was able to purchase some IMR4895 yesterday so will go with that. There is published data for that powder and my bullet selection. I will be looking for a moderate load to get used to the rifle and cartridge.