New
Find
Notify
Tools

powder trail
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
SmilerI have been working up a load for a 7.7 jap rifle and have got it shooting 1/2" groups with IMR 4064. But as the groups get smaller with heavier charges there then comes a partial falttened primer with CCI. Going on with Federal 210 primers and heavier loads the groups begins to spread. I need to change powders but which way should I go, slower or faster.

Posts: 671 | Location: none | Registered: 14 February 2005Reply With Quote

Picture of Mark
posted Hide Post
What size (grain weight) bullet are you using?

for every hour in front of the computer you should have 3 hours outside

Posts: 7774 | Location: Between 2 rivers, Middle USA | Registered: 19 August 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI am shooting the Serria 180 grain pro hunter. At 42 grains of IMR 4064 and a CCI 250 primer the groups have been 3/8 at times. But the CCI primer starts to flatten. Going on with Federal primers does not help the group even at 45 grains. Was wondering what powder I could go to to get better grouping at a lower load. Smiler

one of us
posted Hide Post
Why are you using the magnum power CCI 250 primer? It's not needed in that size cartridge. Why not try the CCI 200?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerI used the 250 as a test along with Federal 210, Winchester WLP, CCI 200. It shot the best group of all. That is why I am trying to determin what powder to go to and use a federal 210 or a CCI 200 and get the same results.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are truly shooting 1/2 inch with a 7.7 jap you have no problems. Be happy with that as it is one in a thousand.

Bob

Posts: 529 | Location: Harrison, Maine - Pensacola, Fl. | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
SmilerNo what you mean about one in a thousand. This rifle was brought back from Japan by my father in law in 1945. It was found in a box with a service rifle and had been used very little. I had the barrel checked out and it is in perfect shape, must have been made early from american steel. 44 grains of IMR 4064 with a federal 210 primer shoots almost as well as the 42 grains with the 250 primer. May try some IMR 4895. But yeah it is shooting well.