New
Find
Notify
Tools

.45 acp 185gr LSWC
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm toying with the idea of casting my own bullets and thought I'd buy some factory cast bullets to try. I came across some 185gr LSWC at my reloading shop today so I pick up a few. Now here're my questions;

1) The bullets are cast at .452, I have a Lee .451 sizing die, should I size these bullets before loading?

2) The bullets are pre lubed, if I size these bullets in the Lee sizer do I need to treat them with Lee Liquid Alox first?

3) How deeply do I need to seat these bullets?

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hey skip. I have loaded a few of these. I would not worry about resizing or additional lube if they are lubed in the grove. As to seating depth I seat them to have about 3-4 thousands of the shoulder above the top of the case and shoot away. I have found with these you have to play around with the seating to get them to feed in most 1911s.
Good luck

Posts: 496 | Location: ME | Registered: 08 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am using a Ruger P345 which I have found to be considerably less picky than a 1911.

Even my spell checker wants to replace Obama, it just doesn't have any suggestions.
jerry.baldwin06@comcast.net

Posts: 354 | Location: Middle Tennessee | Registered: 08 August 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by idahoelk101:
Hey skip. I have loaded a few of these. I would not worry about resizing or additional lube if they are lubed in the grove. As to seating depth I seat them to have about 3-4 thousands of the shoulder above the top of the case and shoot away. I have found with these you have to play around with the seating to get them to feed in most 1911s.
Good luck

This mirrors my experience also with these 185 grainers.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
cast bullets for the 45 are usually 452. jacketed ones are 451. just load em up. a taper crimp die will help functioning, and if it hasn't been done, you may need to polish the feed ramp

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by butchloc:
cast bullets for the 45 are usually 452. jacketed ones are 451. just load em up. a taper crimp die will help functioning, and if it hasn't been done, you may need to polish the feed ramp

This is correct, bullets too small can cause leading issues. In addition to taper crimping you'll need to expand the case mouth just a bit more to accept the lead bullet.

LIFE IS NOT A SPECTATOR'S SPORT!

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote