THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM FORUMS

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Guns, Politics, Gunsmithing & Reloading  Hop To Forums  Reloading    What do you wish the ammo components makers would make for you?
Page 1 2 

Moderators: Mark
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you wish the ammo components makers would make for you?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted Hide Post
How about a 100 gr. semi-pointed .257 bullet for deer hunting with my 1-14 twist M99? Maybe even round nose, just make it short enough to give good accuracy in the old slow twist .250-3000 Savages!
While we're on the M99 track, how about some .303 Savage brass? Lots of good old deer rifles sitting in the closet wishing they had brass!

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not in any particular order:

Sierra to get in the Premium bullet market......at least offer a bonded core bullet. A plastic tipped, light-for-caliber varmint bullet with good BC would nice.

110g - 120g Nosler Accubond in 26 cal.

Barnes to offer a 105g TSX Boattail Barnes in 26 cal and a 180g TSX in 35 cal (heard they were coming out with a 200g TSX in 35 cal which may work fine).

120g Interbond in 26 cal.....129g is too long for short action cartridges.

120g Federal Fusion in 26 cal.

Can you tell I would like to see a bonded core bullet in 26 cal?

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for the component manufacturers to offer tiny, meat-seeking missles in various calibers. They would defy gravity, provide their own propulsion once launched, and instantly kill whatever game animal they strike at any range.

Nanotechnology being what it is, I think they could eventually be programmed to score racks and abort the mission if they didn't measure up to a pre-determined minimum. They may even be able, some day, to skin, debone, and process the animal while you're walking up to it.

If we can also program them to drag everything back to you, someday we might not even have to get off our ATVs. Won't that be heaven?

RXM

Posts: 58 | Location: Billings, Montana | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
You forgot the part where technology also sets up a grill while we admire the rack, and has the tenderloins half cooked by the time we reach the downed animal.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:
You forgot the part where technology also sets up a grill while we admire the rack, and has the tenderloins half cooked by the time we reach the downed animal.

Damn, I knew I was leaving something out.

Posts: 58 | Location: Billings, Montana | Registered: 13 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
It would also be nice to have some 130 grain .257" round nose bullets. Hi-Precision (same company that made the old Herter's bullets for them) used to make them and sell them in bags of 250 or 500.

In my 1-10 twist .25-06 bolt gun (25 years gone now) they were the most accurate bullet I ever found for that rifle and were great deer killers too.

Would sure like to have some for the current .25-06 No. 1-V reposing in the vault.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Doc
posted Hide Post
shame

You should never leave out the most important parts.

Ted Kennedy's car has killed more people than my guns

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Doc:

Yeh, would make hunting almost as much fun as shopping at Safeway.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ok, seriously, I want a 130-grain .277 Accubond from Nosler. I like the on-game performance of Hornady's Interbond, but it doesn't provide top-shelf accuracy in my rifle.

Also, Nosler can bring back the 170-grain Solid Base for my .30-30 while they're at it.

RXM

One of Us
Picture of Masterifleman
posted Hide Post
If we're just wishing, I, like Shrompf, would like to see Hornady/Sierra/Speer/Barnes/Nosler bring out some .423" bullets. I can only shoot my .404 occasionally using $.80 - $1.00 a piece bullets.

"I ask, sir, what is the Militia? It is the whole people. To disarm the people is the best and most effective way to enslave them" - George Mason, co-author of the Second Amendment during the Virginia convention to ratify the Constitution

Posts: 1699 | Location: San Antonio, TX | Registered: 14 April 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Alberta Canuck, About 6 months ago, I tried some of Richard Graves (Wildcat Bullets) 130 grain Bonded Core Flat Base Hollow Point for the first time in my 25/06 AI, and they delivered terrific accuracy.

I had many sub 0.5 moa groups while working up to maximum pressure with loads of H1000, Re25, VihtN170, and H870, with the best being 0.185 moa using 65.0 grains H870 (3038 fps).

Some of the sub 0.5 moa groups occured at 2800 -3000 fps region, which is the velocity a 25/06 could expect to get with this bullet weight.

My second order of Wildcat bullets is due to arrive here in "Oz" any day now. The order includes some more 130 grain BCFBHP, and some 125, 142, and 156 grain ULD's in 257 cal, and some 100 grain ULD's in 224 cal.

If interested in his bullets, email Richard Graves at wildcatbullets@hotmail.com. Hope the above may be of some assistance. Brian.

Posts: 66 | Location: Oaklands Park, South Australia | Registered: 16 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by flaco:
Lapua brass for 7x57

flaco

I have a 1000rds of Lapua factory 7x57 ammo

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BlackHawk1:
I wish bullet manufacturers would 1) quit dumping roundnose softpoint bullets and start offering more of them, they work great at moderate ranges (imagine a RN Partition!) and 2) make "sample" boxes of 25 so handloaders can test before committing to an entire box.

I also wish Lapua made 22-250 and .260 Rem brass. Hell I wish Winchester made .260 Rem brass.

PA Bullets

Like thay say ..ask and ya shall rec/

Posts: 1557 | Location: Home of the original swage | Registered: 29 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish brass would come in lots of 51 or 102 or something like that. Then you could make up a dummy round, have a spare if you accidentally lose or crush a case, and still have a nice round number left!

Washougal Chris

Posts: 116 | Location: Washougal, WA | Registered: 26 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I wish Winchester would bring back the old style "Silvertip" bullets, that they use to load in many popular calibers. I don't care for the newer silvertips at all!

David

Posts: 332 | Location: Backwoods Of Kentucky | Registered: 18 September 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Roll EyesGood quality, strong brass cases with the head and base construction ( rebate) Identical to the .284, x 2.5" long. .425 WR cases are just a little to big and the available brass is just too soft.

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Texasnimrod1960
posted Hide Post
I would like to see a full-power factory load for the .257 Roberts.

The early bird gets the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese!

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
I would like to see a Partiton and/or Accubond bullet in .311 for use in 303 British and 7.62x54R.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Zeke:
I would like to see a Partiton and/or Accubond bullet in .311 for use in 303 British and 7.62x54R.

ZM

That seems pretty reasonable to me. Have you tried asking Nosler about it? Maybe they never considered the possibility yet, at least not since the .303 Brit rifles began experiencing a bit of a revival here in the colonies.

one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
Might be worth a letter or e-mail.
I have two Lee-Enfields and Five Mosin's. Those guns do get into the regular rotation once in awhile.

Having a M38 carbine or #4 Mk1 with Partitions could be handy in the thick stuff. I have a Tula ex-sniper that is a good candidate for Accubonds.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of asdf
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see a substitute for Cordite offered. In the classic British rounds, using a filler over small grained propellants is less than an ideal solution. It seems to me strands of double base powders could be made in lengths suitable for the .30 Super Flanged Mag and longer cartridges. Burning speed would be about that of 3031, but the long sticks would eliminate the need for fillers.

As for those 250 gn RN .308's, Hawk still makes them. I'm curious why the Barnes Originals are held in such high regard and the Hawks ignored. It seems to me the two have the same construction, but perhaps I'm missing something. I have a box of 250 gn Barnes Originals somewhere. Those I inspected didn't seem to have any special features over the Hawk.

As for the idea of Calibration Ammunition, I don't see that happening. Reference ammunition is used to verify pressure barrels, not pressure sensors. The details are in SAAMI's spec's for rifle cartridges. For those using strain gauges, any factory cartridge will serve as a reference for acceptable, indicated strain readings.

Posts: 980 | Location: U.S.A. | Registered: 01 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
LAPUA BRASS FOR THE 7X57

"There are three kinds of people in the world. There are wolves and there are sheep. And then there are those who protect the sheep from the wolves....." - Christopher Shields -

Posts: 248 | Location: Republic of Alberta | Registered: 04 April 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
.358 = 150 gr. boattail, more overall choices just because Razzer

.40 = 200 gr. Gold Dot, a better built 135 gr.

.45 = mmmmm....nothing really Smiler

Posts: 21 | Location: Central KY | Registered: 04 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Things I'd like to see:

1) Shot capsules for 41 Remington Magnum pistol.
2) Thicker jackets on Speer's 9,3 and .375 Hot Core bullets ... good design, just too fragile.
3) Trimmed to standard length brass in loaded ammo and in new brass for the handloader.
4) The suspension of "hazardous materials" charges for the shipment of primers and powder. It is a ripoff!

Mike

--------------
DRSS, Womper's Club, NRA Life Member/Charter Member NRA Golden Eagles ...
Knifemaker, http://www.mstarling.com

Posts: 6199 | Location: Charleston, WV | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of RAS 323
posted Hide Post
I'd like to see a 130 or 140 gr 25 cal. bullets for my 1-8 twist pac nor barrel.

How about rimmed brass 0.385" or 0.390" diameter, 2.5" long in a basic shape (straight walled)constructed for high pressure---for T/C contender, and let the wildcating begin.

Rick
Diesel Power

Posts: 113 | Location: NE PA | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
MartinPotts,
have any pictures of our bullets?

Posts: 2 | Location: Indiana TX exile | Registered: 26 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like Barnes Triple Shock bullets in 243 100 gr boat tail.

Posts: 9043 | Location: on the rock | Registered: 16 July 2005Reply With Quote