New
Find
Notify
Tools

7.62x54r Lee dies
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I just picked up a set of lee 7.62x54r dies. I ran some brass cases through them and all of the cases have a ridge of shaved brass at the base where the die stops. I've never had this happen to any of my brass before both rifle and pistol. The brass is range pickup.Trying to figure if it's the brass or dies

Posts: 44 | Location: NY | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
ConfusedIt's hard to tell without seeing it , but if it is truely shaved rather than squeezed down than it sounds like a bit of stoneing is in order. Sounds like a little micrometer work on the cases and die will point you in the right direction. Roll Eyesroger beer

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
same thing happened to me. you need to use emery cloth to make a radius at the bottom. with that, mine worked perfectly. slide the expander stem up an inch, chuck in a drill, and off you go.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Lee quality at work again.

muck

Posts: 1052 | Location: Southern OHIO USA | Registered: 17 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I am begining to think it's a combo of both.Will mic cases. Looked in the die and the bottom half doesn't look as good as my rcbs dies. The top part especially the neck area hasn't been polished at all.. Thanks for the replys guys.

Posts: 44 | Location: NY | Registered: 23 December 2002Reply With Quote