Find
Notify
Tools

Shot my first Reloads Yesterday!!!
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted
.300 Rem SAUM / Remington Brass / Large Rifle Primers / Nosler Partition 180 grain / 58.5 Grains IMR 4350 through a Remington Model 7.

I fired three rounds. The brass has a dark ringat the very base of the neck. It is very thin and goes all the way round. Factory loads do not do this??

The three shot 100 yard group was 1.672" from the center of the far left hole to the center of the far right hole. The string was perfectly horizontal. The middle hole was biased with the left hole.

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Gonzo FreakPower
posted Hide Post
Dammit PJ, it's too soon to tell him how expensive it gets. I had to discover that for myself. I thought I'd be saving some money with the cheap reloads I'd cook up. But it didn't take long to see that the economics wouldn't work that way.

And Shilen, I thought about what you said
Quote:

"I have never read one comment here along the lines of "you should know that".

It only took a second but I realized you're right. There's not too many places where you can find that kind of support.

Three cheers for us (seriously).

Posts: 557 | Location: Various... | Registered: 29 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HerrBerg
posted Hide Post
The greatest benefit of reloading is that one becomes a better marksman. When one starts to crank out cartridges, one need to shoot them sooner or later. And practice makes perfect!

This is of far more importance, in the field, than if your load/gun combination does MOA or MOA/2. So, my advice is to start fiddling with your loads to get rid of that soot on your brass. It probably doesn't matter too much, but you will have to shoot the loads to see if you're on track. You'll get to know your gun and your cartridges.

Posts: 1723 | Location: Stockholm, Sweden | Registered: 18 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
You mean you have a little soot on the neck? Factory loads are crimped, so the case seals against the throat before the bullet is "let go" and the gas comes out. An uncrimped load will release the bullet a little sooner, and a little gas can flow back, sooting the neck.

No biggie.

As far as the group, not enough data to draw any kind of conclusion, other than you hit the paper..... LOL! HTH, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Born to Hunt
posted Hide Post
That is good news...I just didn't know. Sorry to ask the silliest questions, but I refuse to be stumped when so many of you can help!

Posts: 336 | Location: Kentucky | Registered: 03 December 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good attitude BTH. We all had to learn and in fact ALL of us are STILL learning...so for Pete's sake don't hesitate to ask.

What sort of accuracy do you normally get with your factory loads?

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
BTH,

Don't worry about the dark ring, and there is no stupid question. As I have told you before, there is a lot to learn when it comes to reloading so ask away. I have never read one comment here along the lines of "you should know that". You are where all of us were at one point. I didn't realize you were loading for the 300 SAUM. As I told you before, some cases prefer different powders (I think the 4350 is a good starting powder for this case BTW). The experts on the short action magnums are at www.shortmags.org . Several guys that load for the SAUMs there, so go there and ask their favorite load. As I stated in my PM to you, load the bullet as long as possible AS LONG AS YOU ARE JUST OFF THE LANDS. Did you run the "ladder"? By this I mean, did you start 3 maybe 4 grains below max and load 3 bullets at that powder charge and 3 more for a grain higher, 3 more for a grain higher than that, etc to max? I would do this though I would load 5 for each and allow 5 minutes in between shots. Use a good rest (I use good sand bags that contour to the stock, and yes make sure the bag is not touching the barrel anywhere). Once you find a powder charge that shoots the best group, go home and load 10 or so more. Go to the range again and shoot 5, and then go again after that and shoot your last 5 (again with plenty of time for cooling in between shots). If it still groups very well, you have your load. If not, vary bullet or powder or charge again.

Posts: 395 | Location: Tremonton, UT | Registered: 20 April 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shooting is about to get more expensive. Can you imagine the huge number of variables you can now interject to arrive at the "perfect load" for your rifle (powder brand, primer brand, brand of brass, type and weight of the projectile, COL, etc, etc....). It is about the most fun you can have with your clothes on!

Pete

Posts: 403 | Location: Emeryville, CA | Registered: 24 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Welcome to the fraternity. Reloading is one of the best obsessions, 'er, hobbies in the world. After twenty three years at this game I learn a lot every time I log on to AR.
JCN

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote