Find
Notify
Tools

338 Woodleigh hydrostatic and Win 785
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted
Has anyone any thoughts on loading Win 785 powder behind Woodleigh 225gr Hydrostatics in the 338 Win Mag?

I can find dope on 225-grain slugs in old books but wonder if they apply to monos, esp. since they may occupy more case space.

The 3rd edition of Hornady's handbook started 785 at 67 grains for 2500fps and went up to 72.2gr for 2700fps but this was for their own spire-point bullet.

I am aware that Winchester treated this powder strangely, like something for shotgun loads: ie giving just one weight, and that my powder is about 25 years old - but is the only one here with a slow burn rate. It still smells like acetone but has no redness about it and previously loaded rounds give no problems.

Just in case I do dump it, hints for the Hydrostatic bullet's use with ADI powders would be welcome.

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Winchester's warnings about 785 were related to the phenomenon of Secondary Explosion Effect (SEE) which sometimes occurs with low-density loads of very slow powders. Hence their caution to load only as listed (in other words, don't start too low or your gun may go "poof".) SEE is a rare occurrence which remains somewhat mysterious, but is apparently slightly more real than the Easter Bunny. But is generally agreed that SEE is related to low load density; so as long as you keep your load density in the 95%+ range (which you are almost certain to do with that powder in a .338 Win), then I don't think you have any worries about SEE.

As to interpolating a load for a monometal bullet, well, your guess is as good as or (considering my total lack of success with monometals), even better than mine. It is generally the case that monometals generate some greater pressure with identical loads of powder than do conventional cup-and-core bullets. So, keep your loading density close to a near-full case, but your starting loads on the conservative side for a conventional bullet of the same weight, and you should be okay.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks Stonecreek,
having spent much time today looking into subloads for the 338 on the Internet, before looking in at AR, I see you are well up on SEE. According to some correspondents, although the loading companies believe in it, no experiment had been able to bring it about under controlled conditions.

I finally emailed Woodleigh and received a generous reply from Geoff McDonald himself. While he did not have any info on Win 785, he said that they found their hydros generally gave similar pressures to jacketed bullets and suggested AR2208 and AR2209 loads that corresponded to those in my 2010 ADI manual.

He also gave me similar advice regarding the 375 Winchester 235gr hydros, which might lift the performance of that calibre as a close-range sambar rifle.

All the best - SM

Posts: 5119 | Location: Melbourne, Australia | Registered: 31 March 2009Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sambarman338:
Has anyone any thoughts on loading Win 785 powder behind Woodleigh 225gr Hydrostatics in the 338 Win Mag?

I can find dope on 225-grain slugs in old books but wonder if they apply to monos, esp. since they may occupy more case space.

sambar I have a copy of the second edition of the Winchester Ball Powder Loading Data manual dated Nov 1976. It lists 74.8 grs of 785 with a 200 gr bullet in the 338 for 2785 fps and 42,000 CUP.
73.8 grs 785 with the 250 gr bullet for 2645 fps @ 50500 cup.
68.5 grs 785 with the 300 gr bullet for 2375 fps @ 50500 cup.
Looking through my old loading records I found that I had shot 74 grs of 785 with the 225 gr Hornady bullet. This load had produced cloverleaf like groups under an inch @ 100 yds at mild pressure. No velocity was listed so that would have been before I purchased my first chronograph. Hopefully that helps.

The 3rd edition of Hornady's handbook started 785 at 67 grains for 2500fps and went up to 72.2gr for 2700fps but this was for their own spire-point bullet.

I am aware that Winchester treated this powder strangely, like something for shotgun loads: ie giving just one weight, and that my powder is about 25 years old - but is the only one here with a slow burn rate. It still smells like acetone but has no redness about it and previously loaded rounds give no problems.

Just in case I do dump it, hints for the Hydrostatic bullet's use with ADI powders would be welcome.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sambarman338
posted Hide Post
Thanks snowman,
your figures slot in between the various loads I have got already and they will make a useful reference.

I still have some Woodleigh 300-grain bullets to use up, too, but had only worked them up to 67.5 grains previously - I rarely try for the last grain or two and had been a bit concerned about being under Winchester's stipulated single figure - but have experienced no strange pressure excursions so far, touch wood.