Find
Notify
Tools

seperating cci primers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted
I jst pirchased a second-hand brick of primers (CCI 300 large pistol). A bunch were laying loose in the tupperware container he gave them to me in because the box had split. "No big deal," I think, "I'll just repack the trays which spilled." However, as I began to fill the seccond spilled tray, I noticed that its sleve was marked CCI 350 (large pistol magnum).

Is there a way to sort these out, or should I not worry about it? 3 out of the 5 affected trays are the 350 type.

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of BNagel
posted Hide Post
What color are the interior/primer components?
(Sounds like a lose-loose there.)

Posts: 4885 | Location: Bryan, Texas | Registered: 12 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Use the mixed primers for relatively light plinking or informal target shooting loads. Whether the primer is standard or "magnum" will make so little difference, if any, as not to be noticed.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My .41 Mag doesn't seem to notice the difference. I would just take Stoney's advice.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
I doubt you will see a difference.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cowboy_Dan
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies so far.

I had heard that using a magnum primer instead of a normal one was like adding a grain of powder, but that may only apply to rifle primers.

I'll be using theseu mostly in .44 spl and .45 Colt. Also some .45 acp (for a very old 1911), .410 brass shotshells, and just a few .44 mags.

Posts: 164 | Location: Northern Indiana | Registered: 27 April 2013Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
I had heard that using a magnum primer instead of a normal one was like adding a grain of powder

If you have a MAX (one on the edge) using std primers and switch to magnum you "might" have an issue. Would it be enough to be dangerous not in my opinion. Might you end up with a tight case maybe.

I switched from std to magnum in my 44mag. I found no real difference.

I have also seen no "grain" difference in my rifles either.

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote