New
Find
Notify
Tools

H4227 vs IMR 4227
 Login/Join

posted
Hi guys.

I've been reloading for many years now, but never done too much experimenting. Just loaded for hunting and plinking.

I've got a .460 S&W (8" barrel) that I've loaded a bit for, but I'd like to try a new powder. All the load data I can find is only for H4227, but it's hard to find lately (probably gone to military, Iraq). I've got some IMR 4227 that I'd like to play with.

According to the burn charts, it's pretty close to the Hodgen powder. So I'm hoping that I'm not going to get in trouble. But give me some suggestions on how to go.

H4227 36.0 gr 300 gr Hornady XTP Mag = 57,000 psi 1852fps. It also shows 40.0c as a max load.

Thanks for any suggestions in advance.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
IMR 4227 is slightly faster than H4227 . Not by much . If one is cautious either can be used . Can't help on loads for that caliber . I neither own nor want to own another hand cannon .

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of pointblank
posted Hide Post
H4227 is no longer being made..well sort of. Hodgdon owns IMR powders now and will only be offering the IMR 4227 in the future. However, it will be made in Australia, meaning that it will actually be the H4227, in IMR cans.

Posts: 2073 | Registered: 28 September 2006Reply With Quote