Find
Notify
Tools

Quick-Load - how good?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of Fritz Kraut
posted
How reliable are data from Quick-Load? A good friend sent me some data developed in Q-L. They were surpricingly fast in relation to pressure, and I am bit suspicious, as there perhaps was a little more powder in the case than I did expect.

What are your opinions and experiences?

Regards,

Fritz

The true and only Fritz Kraut

Posts: 846 | Location: Sweden | Registered: 19 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using Quick load for about 4 years now. I do quite a bit of non-conventional loading for non-published cartridge/bullet weight combinations. I like Quick load very much.
The key to it is to start low and work up.

I have found that quite often the Quick load predicted velocities are very close. Use common sense and proceed with caution and Quick load can be a great place to get starting loads. If possible, cross reference with published data.
Good luck
Joe

Posts: 208 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 25 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have it and use it and like it alot. BUT....being that powder lots can be off by 5% quickload can't be any better than that. Plus you thow in "fast" and "slow" barrels and other variances and there is no guarantee. Even if quickload was 100% perfect the variances we all run into could give a 5% change in velocity and pressure.

It's the same reason that you see so much difference in loading data from book to book I guess!

All in all it I think it does a pretty darn good job of running realistic pressures and velocities in spite of the above variables. I also love the "quick target" program that comes with quick load because it runs real neat trajectory charts and has a MOA feature that helps me calibrate ballistic reticle scopes on my guns.

It was a perfect Christmas present that I asked my wife for (I'm hard to shop for). And I would buy it again in a heartbeat but it really can't generate any better guesses than a cross examination of reloading manuals.

Posts: 2002 | Location: central wi | Registered: 13 September 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to enter the twist of a barrel into Quickload for calculations about predicated muzzlespeed ?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Selzhanik,
No, QL is not smart enough to account for twist.

I have had mostly very good results with QL but not always. The good results were with powders that created near 100% load volume, the bad results were with faster powders that did not fill up the case. One example was IMR 3031 in the 30-06, where Quickload seriously underestimated pressure.

Posts: 1095 | Location: Idaho | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of ricciardelli
posted Hide Post
I play with all the reloading programs. And I mean "play with". I don't use any to determine my load.

AFTER I find the load I like I punch the data into the programs to find out which one comes closest to my actual results.

QuickLoad has shown that it is generally the closest.

Posts: 3282 | Location: Saint Marie, Montana | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote